Writing retreat for doctoral students, 3-5 December 2019 in Otaniemi
About the writing retreat
This structured writing retreat works for any kind of writing project and any kind of writer. We will use specific start and stop times for writing, as well as set times for writing warmups and discussion, and breaks for food, relaxation, and exercise.
By the end of the retreat, you’ll have made significant progress on your writing project, as well as learned new strategies and methods for tackling your writing tasks.
We will use precise timings during the retreat. When people arrive late or leave early it can be disruptive, so please plan your travel around these timings. Altogether we have 2.5 days of writing:
- 3rd of December 2019, 13:30 – 17:00
- 4th of December 2019, 09:00 – 17:00
- 5th of December 2019, 09:00 – 17:00
We booked the venue in Otaniemi for the whole retreat, in the main building.
What to bring
- laptop + charger
- notes and personal materials to help your writing
- water bottle
During the sessions, we will provide tea, coffee, and water. Lunch can be bought at your own cost at a nearby restaurant, or you can bring your own.
Preparation before the retreat
- Decide on a writing project
- Do reading and other preparation
- Get notes, plans, outlines, etc. together
- Outline the structure of your paper/chapter
- Download what you need, as wifi is not guaranteed
Certified coach Jess Kelley
Jess Kelley is a highly accomplished, Helsinki-based editor and language advisor with 15 years of experience working across a broad range of industries. She holds accreditation from the Institute of Professional Editors (Australia) and a coaching certification from Genius Coaching (USA).
She is an active member of various associations for language professionals around the world. Drawing on her wealth of experience with university students, professional authors, celebrity clients, the corporate world and beyond, Jess is a versatile language advisor who takes pride in being able to provide support and education to suit the diverse needs of her clients.
As the facilitator of Helsinki Writing Retreat, she has undertaken training with Professor Rowena Murray, who has pioneered and developed the retreat model in the UK for the past 15 years.
Learn more about the retreats at www.writingretreat.fi
- The application has now closed and participants (and a waiting list) have been selected;
- The review of applications and confirmation emails sent to participants on 25th of November;
- If you filled in the form, but for some reason you would like to cancel your application, please email us;
- The event and our activities will be photographed. While participating, you agree to be video-recorded and photographed as a part of an event carried out within the Aalto University Materials Platform (or tell us to exclude you from the photos!). Promotional materials that might be developed throughout the course could be visible for a broader audience. All rights will remain at Aalto University and the photographer;
- The event will be held in English, however, you can write in any language you like.
Fill in the application form < Closed
Have a question about the writing retreat? Get in touch!
Heidi Henrickson, Materials Platform Manager