Materials Platform mission and vision
The platform is a think tank that receives input from stakeholders inside and outside Aalto University in relation to materials research, education, and outreach. Everyone interested in materials research is welcome to join our activities.
Our key activities focus on emerging opportunities in popularising materials research and supporting materials-related multi- and cross-disciplinary initiatives.
Materials Platform promotes cross-disciplinary collaborations and communication, inside and outside Aalto University, to advance the diverse field of materials science and its applications.
The Materials Platform enables and promotes the active exchange of ideas and opportunities for researchers and educators to contribute to society and the quality of life. It advises and provides a reference point for implementing activities and creating spaces where art, design, business, science, and technology combine their efforts to advance associated applications and innovations.
- Promote scientific and educational excellence and creativity;
- Propose activities for collaborative exchange of ideas and efforts;
- Helps integrate multi- and cross-disciplinary initiatives;
- Communicates, connects, and seeks opportunities for Aalto members to advance materials science, technology, and design.
Materials Research at Aalto University
The materials research at Aalto University is well-established in excellence.
- Publications in materials science at Aalto are cited 55% more than the world average (MNCS 1.55);
- 17.8% of our publications belong to the most cited 10% in the world (Top 10 = 17.8%);
- Aalto hosts two Academy of Finland Centres of Excellence and over ten on-going ERC grants related to materials research.
- The annual budget of the materials related research at Aalto is 75 MEUR, from which one third comes from external sources.
Other Aalto University Platforms and collaboration bodies
All platforms are serving Aalto University researchers and students by offering possibilities for co-operation and networking with internal and external stakeholders, including industry partners.
Living+ supports multi- and transdisciplinary research on human-centered living environments, one of Aalto University´s key research areas.
Experiences cover all areas of life and give it meaning. We foster research combining scientific, artistic, technological, and business angles on human experiences.
Teaching Lab provides services, workshops as well as information and inspiration for designing future-proof and work-life relevant education!
Energy meets information, materials, and society. Our focus is in sustainable energy solutions. We organize and gather energy-related research and activities.
To address complex sustainability challenges, Aalto Sustainability Hub works to increase interdisciplinary collaboration and to promote sustainability in teaching, campus development and other operations at Aalto.
We are a forum for everything digital. Our focus areas include emerging technologies, digital services, big data, and robotics in science, arts, and applications.
Health and Wellbeing focus areas include biomedical engineering, neuroscience, biomaterials, digital health, and health management and design.
Aalto University Industrial Internet Campus (AIIC) is a platform for students, researchers, and companies to innovate and co-create smart, connected products and services. Industrial Internet Campus enables multidisciplinary research, education and innovation together with industrial partners.
Design Factory serves all Aalto University schools by providing an experimental co-creation platform for interdisciplinary learning