FULL - Virtual writing retreat with Jess Kelley: spring series for Aalto doctoral students
Writing retreat is back in a new format - an online series!
This structured writing retreat works for any kind of writing project and any kind of writer. We will use specific start and stop times for writing warmups, discussion, writing, exercise, and reflection on the session.
Our online sessions are short bursts over 5 different dates. This arrangement will help you make significant progress on your writing project, as well as learn new strategies and methods for tackling your writing tasks from the comfort of your home office.
We run our sessions in Zoom. The session facilitation language is English, but writing projects can be any language.
We will use precise timings during our ZOOM sessions. When people log in late it can be disruptive, so please plan your other activities around these timings. Altogether we have 5 sessions of writing:
- Tuesday 14th of April 2020, 13:00 – 16:00 - Fully booked
- Thursday 16th of April 2020, 13:00 – 16:00 - Fully booked
- Wednesday 22nd of April 2020, 13:00 – 16:00 - Fully booked
- Friday 24th of April 2020, 13:00 – 16:00 - Fully booked
- Monday 27th of April 2020, 13:00 – 16:00 - Fully booked
How to request a seat
- The application for all doctoral students will open on 03 April 2020.
- The number of participants is limited to 20 for each session. It is possible to participate in one, two, or all sessions. Update: Sessions are full.
We'll confirm your participation (if there's space) and invite you by calendar/email for each individual session to Zoom on the 10th of April 2020.
- If you have not been selected (because the retreat session you requested is full), you will be notified.
- Portions of the Zoom session might be recorded. While participating, you agree to be video-recorded as a part of an event carried out within the Aalto University Materials Platform (or tell us to exclude you from the video!). We will use the recordings to analyze the content of the sessions and improve the upcoming service offerings, and then those recordings will be deleted.
All Aalto Platforms are tasked with bringing people together across disciplines. Therefore, participants will be selected so that the broadest possible group representing all Schools at Aalto will be invited to register and attend.
- All applications will be reviewed to ensure the event is multidisciplinary (see What are Aalto Platforms?).
- Your final selection is based on the diversity of disciplines: all Schools have 1-4 seats in the retreat. We will not select participants based on what you are writing about -- that is up to you!
After being accepted to a session:
Prepare the essentials
- make sure you won't be disturbed during the session (as humanly possible)
- Set up your laptop + charger
- Install Zoom on your laptop
- Test your audio and video in Zoom before the meeting
- Collect notes and personal materials to help your writing
- Fill up your water bottle or cup
- Consider these nutritious snacks: Eat right and eat, write!
Get ready for the writing
- Decide on a writing project
- Do reading and other preparation in advance
- Have notes, plans, outlines, etc. with you
- Outline the structure of your paper/chapter/writing task
- Download what you need, as the focus of the session is writing (not preparation of information for writing)
Certified coach Jess Kelley
Jess Kelley is a highly accomplished, Helsinki-based editor and language advisor with 15 years of experience working across a broad range of industries. She holds accreditation from the Institute of Professional Editors (Australia) and a coaching certification from Genius Coaching (USA).
Jess is a versatile language advisor who takes pride in being able to provide support and education to suit the diverse needs of her clients. As the facilitator of Helsinki Writing Retreat, she has undertaken training with Professor Rowena Murray, who has pioneered and developed the retreat model in the UK for the past 15 years.