Users.aalto.fi is a personal website space for Aalto University students and staff.
users.aalto.fi is a simple, traditional WWW-service, a tool for one specific job, serving static content. Aalto provides a wide array of other more refined services for online publishing for users and workgroups: Aalto Wiki, Aalto People, Blogs.
- 5 GB of personal space, which is visible to the world via a WWW-server
- The server supports only static content (HTML pages, images, etc.) - No PHP, etc.
- Personal URL: https://users.aalto.fi/username
- From that address, the file index.html is shown, if it exists
- Obey laws and Aalto policies, respect immaterial rights, use common sense and at least moderately good taste
- Distributing clearly political and/or religious material is denied
- Do not provide service for a third party (no associations' home pages, thank you)
- Aalto may restrict the use of the service without prior warning, for content-related and/or technical reasons
- Custom aliases will not be provided
SSH, SFTP, Aalto Linux/Unix desktop workstation
- Any Aalto Linux server or desktop workstation with shared home directories: kosh.org.aalto.fi, lyta, brute, force, taltta, etc.
- Follow the symbolic link public_html in your home directory
Opening the webhome-folder
- Works only in an Aalto workstation network or via an Aalto VPN connection
- For Aalto Linux laptops (local home directories), Mac instructions below also apply for the Nautilus file manager
Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server (cmd+K)
Enter server address: smb://webhome.org.aalto.fi and click Connect
Windows Explorer -> This PC -> Computer -> Map Network drive -> Folder: \\webhome.org.aalto.fi\username select Connect using different credentials click Finish -> username: AALTO\username
Aalto Wiki is a collaboration tool for staff members at Aalto University. Aalto Wiki uses the Confluence collaboration software provided by Atlassian.
Aalto People is a business card that the people at Aalto can use to describe themselves online. For researchers and employees, Aalto People collects information related to them from several Aalto source systems, letting them publish it for viewing by others if they so wish.
Aalto Blogs provides students and staff members an opportunity to keep a free public blog.