Internationalisation and exchange studies – School of Chemical Engineering

The School of Chemical Engineering offers students diverse opportunities to experience exchange studies as part of their degree. Similarly, the school also receives exchange students every year from foreign partnering universities. Professors may also decide to invite interns to the School of Chemical Engineering.

Outgoing exchange students

Exchange studies can be carried out through programmes such as Erasmus+ (Europe), Nordtek (Nordic countries) ja Magalhaes (Latin America). In addition, Aalto University also has bilateral exchange agreements with schools in Asia, Australia, North America and Russia.  

Partner universities are located all over the world. Students can apply for exchange studies through both the school's own exchange agreements as well as by utilising general agreements for the technological field. Students can also apply for exchange studies through agreements made by other schools of technology, in order to study a minor in another field, for example. When planning exchange period abroad studies available for exchange students at destination university as well as the language of instruction are important things to consider.

During the exchange, students can complete an international minor, which provides a flexible opportunity to include exchange studies in Aalto degree.

Applications for exchange studies are made three times a year as part of set application periods. More detailed information about exchange locations, applications and principles for exchange studies can be found from the INTO website for students.

Further information about exchange studies is available at Student Services ([email protected]).

Incoming exchange students

Exchange students stay for one term or for one academic year. There are always more students arriving in the autumn term than in the spring term. In total, around 80 exchange students arrive yearly to the School of Chemical Engineering.

A majority of the exchange students attend courses, while some others work on their Final Project (equivalent to a master's thesis) or some other project work.

Exchange students from partner universities apply for exchange during the application periods held twice a year and rights to study are granted in accordance with official term dates.

LES (Learning Services) assists and advises exchange students in the application process, organises an orientation period at the start of each term, and also helps in other matters such as finding accommodation. A wide range of free time activities are available through AYY and student organisations.

Exchange studies operate reciprocally, so exchange students arriving here create exchange opportunities for degree students if the school.

Free mover guest students may be accepted from non-partner universities.

Free movers have different application requirements and applications are processed on a case-by-case basis. As a general rule, free mover students are often working on their Final Project. It is important that potential free mover students make contact with Student Services in good time so that all matters relating to their right to study can be properly dealt with.

Further information about exchange studies can be obtained at Student Services ([email protected]).

Instructions for arriving exchange students:

  • Instructions for arriving exchange students can be found from the Into website

Incoming interns

Professors may decide to invite an intern to work in the research group. This differs to the application process for exchange students.

The length and dates of the internship, as well as any included salary, can be agreed directly between the professor and the intern. It is important to note that interns do not have a right to study, nor do they have student status (and thus do not have the right to student benefits). Interns must complete a visitor agreement, for which HR can provide assistance.

This service is provided by:

School of Chemical Engineering

Did you find what you were looking for? If not, please contact us.
  • Published:
  • Updated: