How to intervene to harassment and inappropriate conduct
We behave in a responsible manner and respect the rights of the other members of our community to enjoy a safe and pleasant university environment that allows unhindered progress in study and work.
We do not accept any kind of inappropriate conduct, bullying or harassment. If you have experienced or you are unsure whether you have encountered inappropriate conduct or harassment, follow the instructions below. Inappropriate conduct or harassment cannot be influenced or prevented if it is not discussed among the persons concerned or if support is not sought from one's superior or HR or other contacts mentioned below.
What to do when you experience inappropriate behavior?
If possible, start by explaining the person that their behavior does not seem appropriate and ask them to stop.
It’s important to bring up challenges once noticed, even if challenging others' behavior might feel uneasy. It might be that the person does not understand that their behavior feels inappropriate to others. Discussing the matter helps us to see situations from other perspectives.
Sometimes the situation might continue or there might be reasons why it isn’t possible to bring up challenges with the person behaving inappropriately. In this cases do not hesitate to ask for help: support is available for you.
If you experience harassment or inappropriate conduct, do not hesitate to take action and ask for help: support is available, and Aalto has clear shared principles and processes for handling these situations. All members of the Aalto community are for their part responsible for the atmosphere and wellbeing in their workplace and studying community.
If you are an employee you can contact for example your own supervisors, HR services, occupational health support, union representatives or harassment and inappropriate conduct contact persons.
If you are a student you can contact one of the following: the manager of academic affairs at your school or the harassment contact person of AYY (contact details below). You can also contact the Aalto study psychologists (student counsellors). More information here.
In all cases and with all questions you can contact Aalto's harassment contact persons by sending email to [email protected]. Do not include sensitive material in the message that is not necessary for the matter (e.g. information about your own or another person's health or family situation). The email address is read only by harassment contact persons. The harassment contact persons can be contacted confidentially and they do not proceed your case without your permission.
Aalto University's harassment contact persons for personnel are [email protected] and [email protected] Their role is to support the person who has experienced harassment or inappropriate behaviour or seen/witnessed it and to help to proceed if so wished.
Harassment contact persons are available to provide approximately 1/2 hour info session at department or unit meetings on the prevention of harassment and inappropriate conduct and Aalto's processes.
You are welcome to discuss with the harassment contact persons on every Monday also at a new Wellbeing Desk in Otakaari 1, room Y163 from 28.3.2022 - see the detailed information here.
Process for clarifying the situation when reporting the experience of inappropriate conduct or harassment
Starting the process
A staff member of the Aalto community experiences harassment or inappropriate conduct by the staff and reports about it to the supervisor, the supervisor's supervisor, or HR. The employer's representative, i.e. the supervisor, together with the school's HR manager, starts the clarification process, which proceeds as described below. If one of the parties is a student, the head of the school's learning services is also involved in the process.
Clarifying the situation (related to staff, the process for students' cases has its own instructions in Learning services)
- Both/all parties are consulted by having discussions separately and, if possible or necessary, also together. Support persons may be involved in the discussions
- Discussions are documented
- It helps if the parties (especially the one who experienced harassment/inappropriate conduct) have documented what happened, when and between whom.
Conclusions and decisions on necessary actions
- In separate meetings, an appropriate and fair solution to the situation is sought in terms of the flow of work (when it is not a matter of serious harassment or inappropriate conduct)
- If the report states that inappropriate conduct, bullying or harassment has occurred, it is made clear to the person guilty of harassment that the activity must stop and/or depending on the seriousness of the case, a notice or warning is given. Very serious cases may result in termination of employment and/or reporting to the police.
- The conclusions and measures taken based on the discussions, as well as the necessary instructions and agreements related to work and behavior change, are documented. It is also documented when and how the implementation and effects of the agreed matters are monitored.
Contact information for personnel
- Aalto University’s harassment contact persons: [email protected]
- HR Services
- Learning Services
- Occupational Safety and Health representatives
- Occupational Safety Manager: [email protected]
- Trade union representatives
- Occupational Health Care
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct - Values into practice
The Aalto University Code of Conduct is one way of putting our values and way of working — the foundation of our community culture — into practice
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Aalto University
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Aalto
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive community where all students, faculty, staff and stakeholders feel a sense of belonging and can fulfill their professional, educational and social aspirations fully.