ELEC Diversity and Inclusivity Fund
To promote equality, diversity and inclusion for all in our community, the ELEC Diversity and Inclusivity Fund supports networks, seminar series, creative projects, mentorship schemes, public events, and work with schools or social clubs. We encourage our community members to apply, as no initiative to advance equal opportunities for all is too small for this funding.
The application period opens on Friday, April 1, 2022.
- The School of Electrical Engineering Diversity and Inclusivity Fund has one application period per year – open from 1 April until 30 April. Awarded projects will be announced mid-May and should start by December 2022 at the latest.
- In case there is funding left after the first application round the school may consider opening a second round in December 2022.
- The School has reserved up to 10 000 euros for the projects. The budget for a single project should not exceed 5000 euros.
Rules and conditions
- All projects must abide by the Aalto Code of Conduct.
- This funding is not intended to cover already existing activities.
- All funded projects will be expected to have one of the team members write a news story for the Aalto University webpage about their activities within 4 weeks of the project completion at the latest.
- The funding is open to all members of staff and students who are affiliated with the School of Electrical Engineering.
- The proposals will be evaluated based on potential impact, based on the level of support the project will provide, and the number of people it will reach.
- We encourage projects that are not limited to one department or student guild;
- An impactful project could provide substantial help to a small group, or a small amount of help to a large group.
- Notice that the School of Science has a corresponding Fund open at the same time April 1 - April 30. Projects involving both schools are encouraged.
- All projects will be considered, however to avoid duplicating efforts, collaboration may be suggested between two similar applications, or between an application and an already existing project.
- Applications will be judged by a subcommittee of the School of Electrical Engineering Equality and Quality Group and final decisions will be approved by the Dean.
- Salaries are funded only in very exceptional cases, so please contact us (information below) before sending your proposal if this is what you need funding for.
- The judging subcommittee is happy to consult and assist with proposals before submitting, and potential applicants are encouraged to talk with us before making a proposal.
- The School of Electrical Engineering Communications team will assist in promoting the project, but the main responsibility for promotion remains with the project teams.
Projects elected for funding earlier at the School of Science
- Making Waves: Seminar series addressing the gender and diversity imbalance in academia
- Color of Science: Engaging Critical Perspectives from Scientists of Color
- The Painting Energies Podcast: Creating an experience-based podcast series on artscience
- Master's thesis on co-creative service design in context of LGBT+ minority (read about the author)
- The Feminist Futures Helsinki hackathon
- A DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) workshop for the Athene guild
- Kaleidoscope Cinema: a movie series on diversity topics
- Increasing minority representation through video exercise solutions