Master's Programme in Accounting
Programme main page
You can time your studies using the Timeline tab on Sisu. Depending on your programme and the year you started your studies, there are also timing templates that you can use to help time your studies. Instructions on using the Timeline tab.
The study calendar view is handy when you want to see how the lectures are distributed during the week within the teaching period. Lecture times are found for the current academic year and published in summer for the next academic year. Instructions on using the Study calendar view.
Here you can find guidelines for timing and planning your studies in the Master’s programme in Accounting.
To complete the degree in 2 years, it is recommended to spread out courses to each of the 5 periods evenly. This would mean about 12 credits per period, but depending on your choices, one period can be heavier than another.
Degree requirements can be found on page Curriculum 2022-2024. You can find course descriptions and schedules on Sisu (sisu.aalto.fi).
Courses recommended for the 1st year of studies:
- Financial Statement Analysis 6 cr, preferably in period I
- Performance Management 6 cr, preferably in period I, or if you have many courses in period I, period III
- Accounting elective courses 30 cr: You might want to complete all the 5 Accounting courses taking 0-2 courses per period. You can also leave something for the 2nd year if you cannot fit all the elective courses in the 1st year studies.
- Elective courses or minor studies about 18 cr
Courses recommended for the 2nd year of studies:
- Research methods in accounting 4 cr (this can also be taken in the 1st year studies, but at the latest when you start working on your thesis)
- Capstone 6 cr (recommended at the point when most of the other accounting courses have been completed)
- Thesis, seminar and maturity test 30 + 2 cr
- Rest of the elective courses/minor
- Exchange studies (=minor, 24 cr), if you want to do an exchange. If you have studied your Bachelor's degree at Aalto, you can also apply for the exchange in the 1st year or master's studies. If you also start your thesis in the 2nd year studies, it is recommended to do the exchange studies first and after that start the thesis so that the thesis process is not interrupted.
In the Master’s Programme in Accounting, you can specialize in management accounting (e.g. topics: performance management, strategic management accounting, capital investment decisions) or financial accounting (e.g. topics: theories of financial statements, international and national accounting standards, issues in group accounting and consolidated financial statements, auditing theory and practice). You can either take courses from a certain specialization area or you can mix courses from different areas. The specialization area won’t be marked in the diploma. There's no certain order how to complete the elective accounting courses so you can plan them freely. However, some courses might have some prerequisites so remember to check them.
Minor / electives
Minor is not a compulsory part of the degree. You can choose if you want to complete 36 cr of electives from different subjects or if you want to do a minor and less electives (for example minor 24 cr + electives 12 cr). If you choose to do a minor, you can choose it from the minor list. Also, if you choose to do only electives, the list of minors is one of the best ways to browse through courses from the subjects that interest you. Because some minor courses are offered only once a year, it might be good to plan some minor courses already for your 1st year of studies. If you do a student exchange, it will always be your minor (24 cr) and you need to include it in your degree.
Electives can be any courses that support your degree. Electives can be basic, intermediate or advanced level courses from Aalto or another university. You can also take language courses if you are interested in languages. If you have an internship or work experience related to economics and business, you can get up to 6 cr from it and place the internship to your electives. You can also choose to do more accounting studies or a larger minor. You can include intermediate accounting courses about auditing and accounting information systems in the elective studies.
Remember to leave enough time for the thesis. Do not take too many courses at the same time. Alongside the thesis you can take courses that support your thesis process, for example the contents of the course relate to your thesis topic. Usually the thesis and seminar (in total 32 cr) are completed in one year or one semester depending on your pace, your goals, etc. It is recommended to talk to your supervisor about your goals when the thesis seminar starts. You can find more about master's thesis and seminar (for example frequently asked questions about seminar and thesis) on the curriculum page.
Auditor examinations (requirements for HT/KHT examinations)
In Aalto University School of Business students can study courses required for the Finnish auditor examinations. You can find the list of required courses and the instructions here.