I’m an Associate Professor, Strategic Management at the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management at Aalto University, School of Science and the Director of the Master’s Program in Industrial Engineering and Management.
I obtained a PhD in strategic management (Doctor of Science (Tech)) from Aalto University in 2012 and have been a visiting scholar at University of St.Gallen, Copenhagen Business School and Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
In 2010 I received the Glueck Best Paper Award for the best paper presented at the Academy of Management Meetings, Strategy Division (best of ~700 submitted) and in 2022 I received the distinguished paper award for the best paper presented in the Behavioral Strategy track, Academy of Management Meetings, Strategy Division. I have won numerous awards as a reviewer. Since 2016 I have served on the editorial review board of the Academy of Management Review.
Current research interests
- cognitive micro-foundations of strategy
- strategic factor markets
- entrepreneurial strategy
- demand-side strategy
- corporate strategy in platform ecosystems
- ecosystem emergence
Google Scholar profile: https://scholar.google.fi/citations?user=fx7u--oAAAAJ
- Ehrig, T., & Schmidt, J. 2022. Theory‐based learning and experimentation: How strategists can systematically generate knowledge at the edge between the known and the unknown. Strategic Management Journal, 43(7): 1287-1318.
- Reisinger, M., Schmidt, J., & Stieglitz, N. 2021. How Complementors Benefit from Taking Competition to the System Level. Management Science, 67(8): 5106–5123.
- Ehrig, T., & Schmidt, J. 2021. Making biased but better predictions: The trade-offs strategists face when they learn and use heuristics. Strategic Organization, 19(2): 263-284.
- Baumann, O., Schmidt, J., & Stieglitz, N. 2019. Effective Search in Rugged Performance Landscapes: A Review and Outlook. Journal of Management, 45(1): 285-318.
- Schmidt, J., Makadok, R., & Keil, T. 2016. Customer-specific synergies and market convergence. Strategic Management Journal, 37(5): 870-895.
- Schmidt, J. 2015. Cognition, Resources, and Opportunities: Managerial Judgment, Theories of Success and the Origin of Novel Strategies. Advances in Strategic Management, 32: 549-575.
- Schmidt, J., & Keil, T. 2013. What makes a resource valuable? Identifying the drivers of firm-idiosyncratic resource value. Academy of Management Review, 38(2): 206-228.