Student communications project - Transferring Into onto Aalto.fi
Why are we transferring Into onto Aalto.fi?
- We gain more accessibility
- Into and its platform are becoming obsolete
- It is difficult to create interfaces between different systems and Into
What do we gain?
- A more modern and visual design
- All Aalto information on the same website
- Opportunity to improve contents during the transfer
- Increased communication between different systems
What is happening with the project at the moment?
The contents of Into are transferred onto aalto.fi during 2022 and some are published already during the year. The student contents of aalto.fi are published in late 2022 but Into will be closed only in early 2023.
- During the fall of 2021, we organized workshops and questionnaires for students. Based on the results, we developed a preliminary website navigation. In the spring of 2022, we organized a questionnaire and workshop for students and Learning Services (LES) personnel to finalize the navigation based on the results.
- Since spring 2022, we have organised "Missä mennään" ('What's new?') events for Learning Services where we have presented news and next steps on the project. We also organised a two-part training on Plain language.
- The project has multiple pilots (incl. doctoral topics, exchange studies and BIZ bachelor's programme) who were trained to use the new platform (Drupal) and transferred their pages from Into to aalto.fi during the spring and summer.
- The project hired two interns in May. They have transferred all Aalto programme curricula and other pages from Into to aalto.fi.
- Programme editors have completed Drupal training and we offer them clinics to support the transfer work during the autumn.
- New technical features in Drupal are all nearly finished and all content is being transferred from Into to aalto.fi during the autumn.
Look and navigation of the new Student guide
Below is a preview on the look and logic of the new site. In many ways, it is similar to Into, however, technically and visually it differs. Please note that some things are subject to change on the Student guide upon publication.
At the top of each page of the Student guide is the main navigation panel where you can find five headers, some with max. five subheaders. Pictured is the front page of the Student guide with the header "Programmes, Minors and Courses" open. You will recognize headers with a subnavigation by the arrow icon after the header title.
The pages on the Student guide often list links to specific sites without further explanations on each topic. This is to allow the user to navigate the site as smoothly as possible and to see a page's contents at glimpse.
You can find all current programme pages on the Student guide. The programme pages have their own navigation with five headers, some with max. five subheaders. Pictured is the programme main page with the header "During your studies" opened to reveal five subheaders where you can find more information on each topic.
Feedback and more information: Meri Karjalainen, meri.karjalainen(a)aalto.fi