Lighthouses (hereafter ‘LH’) are large-scale and long-term innovation initiatives that address critical and specific raw materials challenges for Europe. They provide guidance for innovation projects that create smart solutions along the entire raw materials value chain for a sustainable future.
LHs serves as beacons for many cross-theme activities and will foster efficient value chain integration and de siloing. The scope of the LH is to generate impact that goes beyond that created by individual projects and consortia. This is done by:
- Funnelling synergies and expertise already existing within the partnership into coordinated highimpact activities that will contribute to the solution of important societal challenges and that will enhance the role of EIT RawMaterials as a leading innovation community; and
- Identifying future challenges and developing the ability to address them in the partnership.
LH proposals are submitted using SeedBook in exactly the same way and using the same format of other EIT RawMaterials call proposals, but in the proposal registration, the Project Coordinator must tick the relevant box if they want their proposal to be considered as a LH proposal. Although it is acknowledged that there may be overlap between the three LHs considered in this call, a proposal must be assigned to only one LH
The same eligibility criteria of non-LH proposals apply to LH proposals. In addition, the following eligibility criteria apply to non-LH proposals:
- one of the following topics must be the focus of the LH proposal: Raw Materials and Circular Societies LH; Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility LH or Sustainable Discovery and Supply LH
- at least one Higher Education or LLL or WSL or Coaching program must be included when considering Upscaling activities:
A Higher Education component – e.g., a Master course (or summer school) that addresses the specific LH topic of the proposal (addressing KPIs 02-06, 02-07, 02-12, 02-13).
LLL program – a training program to develop the skills and competencies needed to drive the innovation process in the specific LH topic of the proposal (addressing KPI 02-08).
WSL program – an awareness campaign, dissemination action or learning and teaching activity related to the innovation developed in the LH project (addressing KPI 02-09).
Coaching program – industry internship or other professional activities that will expose program participants to the project’s innovation (addressing KPIs 02-10 and 02-11).
- Where possible, educational activities should be developed jointly with the Industry Partners’ relevant departments (human resources, training, corporate responsibility….).
The following recommendations are made to assist Partners with the planning and compilation of their proposal. LH projects are expected to have:
- very high impact in terms of both EIT-core and KIC-specific KPIs, with significant KPIs in each year of the project (i.e., not only in the final year);
- a minimum duration of 2 years, preferably 3 years.