Anglo American Innovation Challenge (apply by 22 May 2023)
A great opportunity for start-ups and entrepreneurs with solutions to decarbonise steel.
Innovators are encouraged to apply by 22 May 2023, 20:00 CET for a chance to secure funding and potential industrial partnerships. Key criteria for assessment of solutions will be whether they are innovative, can become cost competitive and will be impactful. By ‘impactful’ we mean that the solution can remove upwards of 0.2t CO2 per ton of steel produced.
The following are some of the focus areas we believe are particularly important:
- Mining - The beneficiation of iron ore feeds for use in Direct-Reduced Iron processes
- Pre-processing - Reducing or removing carbon emissions in existing pre-processing stages such as sintering and induration
- Production - The use of Advanced Blast Furnace technologies, DRI-Electric Arc Furnace processes, or alternative steelmaking technologies
- Recycling - Enabling increased use of scrap metal feedstock in high quality flat steel production
- Post-processing - The use of carbon-capture utilisation or sequestration solutions to meet the scale of blast furnace carbon emissions
What is the benefit of applying?
- Venture capital - All submissions – whether those from start-ups, teams keen to spin-out of research centres, or other private entities – will be assessed by Anglo American’s Decarbonisation Ventures team for potential venture capital investment.
Industrial expertise and global network - Anglo American can provide select companies access to a range of internal technical and commercial experts to support them in their scale-up journey. The nature of advice will depend on what select companies require to meet commercialisation milestones.
- Submission: Proposals must be submitted on the application portal by 22 May 2023, 20:00 CET but applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible.
- Selection: Decarbonisation Ventures will at their sole discretion begin engaging with select companies.
- Pitch: Decarbonisation Ventures will at their sole discretion invite select companies to pitch their submission by July 2023. Further details will be shared with select companies in due course.
Read more here!