Venue and Practical Information
The venue and getting there
The venue location (Dipoli/Otaniemi) is just a 15 minute from Helsinki downtown by Metro and 20 – 40 minutes from Helsinki-Vantaa international airport by taxi.
- Dipoli is the main building of Aalto University. It was designed by architects Reima and Raili Pietilä and opened in 1966. Dipoli was initially owned by the Student Union of the Helsinki University of Technology who sold it to Aalto University in 2014.
- The building uses extensively materials from Finnish nature, such as pine wood, copper, and natural rocks. Dipoli has 500 windows of which only four are identical. The architects originally planned for as little interference with the natural granite of the site as possible; but blasting the hard granite base rock inevitably fragmented it. The building is seen as a key example of organic architecture.
Dipoli 360° space tour
Explore Dipoli and its event and conference facilities through a 360° space tour. Move from room to room and look around at the iconic main building of Aalto University.
How to get to Otaniemi
NDE-NUcCon 2023 will be held in the Otaniemi campus of Aalto University in Espoo, Finland.
The closest airport is the Helsinki-Vantaa international airport. Transport from airport to Otaniemi campus is easiest by train and metro or by taxi.
- The trains (I and P trains) go to Helsinki central railway station about every 10-20 minutes and the metro (towards Tapiola and Matinkylä) from the central railway station to Aalto University (Aalto-yliopisto) metro station about every 2.5 – 10 minutes. The total travel time is about one hour. Tickets (ABC-zone) cost 4.60 € from a ticket machine or from the mobile app. The ticket is valid for 90 minutes and includes changes. Tickets must be purchased from ticket machines located at all stations or from the app in advance, there is no ticket sale on trains or on the metro.
- Taxi is a faster option and takes 20 – 40 min depending on traffic. Taxi costs about 45 € from the airport to the Aalto University area and 40 € to the Helsinki Center.
Otaniemi can be reached easily by using a bus or a train to connect to the metro (dashed orange line).
- The Helsinki downtown area is connected to Otaniemi by metro and the trip takes around 15 minutes depending on the station where you enter. For other public transport connections inside the metropolitan area, you can refer to the HSL route planner, which shows you the best connections between a given starting and ending point, and also shows timetables.
- The ticket to Otaniemi from Helsinki is the AB-zone ticket, which costs 2.80€ bought from a ticket or from the app. The ticket is valid for 80 minutes and includes changes.
- Besides the Metro, there are some bus lines serving Otaniemi: 52, 111, 550, 510 and 555. All these stop by the Aalto University Metro station, entrance A (Otaniementie). Outside the Metro operating hours bus 108N runs to Otaniemi.
- Single metro or bus tickets can be bought in advance at the ticket machines or from the bus driver. The same ticket is valid on buses and the metro.
- For more detailed information about the tickets and public transportation regions can be found on the Helsinki public transportation (HSL) website.
For the accommodation of the conference attendees, we recommend hotels Otaniemi, Espoo and Helsinki downtown.
1) Aalto Inn
- Address: Otaranta 4, 02150 Espoo
- Location: Situated between nature and the city by the sea. Walking distance to conference venue is 3 minutes. Aalto Inn offers high quality rooms with excellent connections in the heart of the campus.
- Room rates (per room / night): EUR 102,00 Studio. EUR 118,00 One-bedroom flat for two. Reservation code: NDE2023.
- Homepage: [https://unihome.fi/en/properties/aalto-inn]
2) Radisson Blu Hotel Espoo
- Address: Otaranta 2, 02150 Espoo
- Location: Situated on the edge of the shimmering Gulf of Finland, the Radisson Blu Hotel, Espoo invites you to explore the stunning coast and landscape of Scandinavia. The conference venue can be reached foot within 5 minutes. Distance from conference venue: 0.5 km.
- Room rates (per room / night): EUR 170,00 Standard single room /EUR 190,00 Standard double room and EUR 190,00 Superior single room /EUR 210,00 Superior double room.
- Homepage: [https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/hotels/radisson-blu-espoo]
3) Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden
- Address: Tapionaukio 3, 02100 Espoo
- Location: Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden is a meeting place in the heart of the growing Tapiola district in Espoo, close to good public transportation connections. Here, you can get friendly service and stay like you're at home. The hotel is located next to the shopping center AINOA and the Tapiola Keskusallas pool, where people can ride SUP boards in summer and go skating in winter. The conference venue can be reached via foot (20 minutes), or metro (20 minutes). Distance from conference venue: 1.5 km.
- Room rates (per room / night): EUR 155,00 Standard single room /EUR 175,00 Standard double room and EUR 175,00 Superior single room /EUR 195,00 Superior double room
- Homepage: [https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/espoo/sokos-hotel-tapiola-garden]
4) Heymo.1 by Sokos Hotels
- Address: Miestentie 5, 02150 Espoo
- Location: Heymo 1 is a new type of flexible service hotel where everything essential has been taken into account and everything has been made as easy as possible.
Adjacent to the metro, Keilaniemi's top companies, Aalto University and outdoor routes by the sea. Fixers help 24/7, check-in takes place at vending machines and breakfast is available from smart lockers around the clock.
Room rates (per room / night): EUR 110,00 Standard single room /EUR 130,00 Standard double room.The breakfast not included price. Reservation code: BNDENUCCON
- Homepage: [https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/espoo/heymo-1]
5) Hotel Matts
- Address: Tynnyritie 1, 02230 Espoo
- Location: New Hotel Matts in Espoo charms with Scandinavian style and great location! The hotel offers 192 rooms and 77 apartments. There are room options for a single traveller and to larger groups. Adjoining Combi rooms and bigger apartments are perfect for families. The suites meet the most demanding quality criteria and have a bedroom, a living room and a sauna. The hotel is located next to the Iso Omena Shopping Centre and respective metro station. Distance from conference venue: 6 km.
- Room rates (per room / night): EUR 130,00 Standard single room /EUR 160,00 Standard double room.
- Homepage: [https://www.hotelmatts.fi/en/]
6) Hotels at Helsinki downtown
- The Helsinki downtown area is connected to Otaniemi by metro and the trip takes around 15 minutes depending on the station you enter. Please see Nordic choice hotels for Helsinki at [https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/hotels/finland/helsinki/]
- Language: Finnish and Swedish are the official languages of Finland. English is widely spoken
- Local time: Finnish time is GMT +2
- Currency: Finland’s currency is euro (€)
- Average temperature: The average temperature in Helsinki in January is -5°C and the average depth of snow is 21 cm
- General emergency number:112
- International dial code for Finland: +358
- Shop opening hours: Most shops open at 09:00 and close at 20:00 or 21:00. Grocery stores usually have longer opening hours - from 08:00 to 21:00 or even later
January, the same as December, in Helsinki, Finland, is a freezing cold winter month, with average temperature fluctuating between -6.5°C (20.3°F) and -1.3°C (29.7°F).
- Temperature: In Helsinki, the average high-temperature in January is essentially the same as in December - a subzero cold -1.3°C (29.7°F). The average low-temperature, in January, is -6.5°C (20.3°F).
- Rainfall: In Helsinki, during January, the rain falls for 19 days and regularly aggregates up to 52mm (2.05") of precipitation. In Helsinki, during the entire year, the rain falls for 182 days and collects up to 655mm (25.79") of precipitation.
- Snowfall: Months with snowfall in Helsinki, Finland, are January through March, November and December. Throughout January, in Helsinki, Finland, 210mm (8.27") of snow is accumulated. Throughout the year, in Helsinki, 740mm (29.13") of snow is accumulated.
- Sea temperature: In Helsinki, the average seawater temperature is 2°C (35.6°F). Note: For swimming, this is considered life-threatening and very dangerous. The water feels painfully cold, and hyperventilation quickly occurs. A specialized swimsuit is mandatory to reduce thermal damage.
- Daylight: In January, the average length of the day in Helsinki is 6.8h.
- For more information, please see: [https://www.weather-atlas.com/en/finland/helsinki-weather-january]