Academic Committee for Engineering
The Academic Committee for Engineering is a multi-member executive body that deals with academic matters at the School of Engineering. These include the school's curriculum as well as school-specific degree and admission requirements.
The dean of the School of Engineering serves as the chair of the academic committee. Committee members represent the school's professors, other personnel and students.
Aalto University Bylaws, Section 25:
The school academic affairs committee shall, in addition to other duties assigned by the University Academic Affairs Committee and the director of the school, put forth proposals on:
- a school-specific curriculum
- school-specific degree requirements
- school-specific admission requirements
- other matters relating to academic activities
- other duties assigned by the dean directing the school, and
- decide on the arrangements for the ceremonial conferment of doctoral degrees of the school and the conferral of the title of honorary doctor.
The school academic affairs committee can, by its own decision, delegate authority in the above-mentioned duties to other bodies elected in accordance with the Section 27 of the Universities Act.
Bylaws of the Aalto University School of Engineering, Section 7:
In addition, the academic committee shall for its part be responsible of ensuring that the Aalto University schools cooperate to implement the university strategy and of the cooperation between the schools of technology to ensure the uniformity of training and education, research, and the shared tasks in the technical-scientific field and as well as the equal treatment of students.
The vice dean is entitled to attend and speak at the committee meetings.
Meeting dates, 2023
- 6 February
- 3 April
- 29 May
- 19 June
- 4 September
- 23 October
- 18 December
Committee members, 2022–2025
- Chair: Dean Gary Marquis
- Vice chair: Vice Dean Jani Romanoff
- Professor members:
- Simo Hostikka, deputies Antti Peltokorpi, Wojciech Solowski
- Jarkko Niiranen, deputies Gunther Filz, Gerhard Fink
- Matti Kummu, deputies Maaria Nordman, Riku Vahala
- Kari Tammi, deputies Sven Bossuyt, Juhani Orkas
- Heidi Falkenbach, deputies Claudio Roncoli, Risto Lahdelma
- Risto Kosonen, deputies Petri Kuosmanen, Raine Viitala
- Personnel members:
- Petri Rönnholm, deputies Iisakki Kosonen, Saana Rossi
- Markku Kuuva, deputies Pekka Kyrenius, Tuomas Tiainen
- Börje Helenius, deputies Katri Koistinen, Helena Suonsilta
- (Esko Sistonen), deputies Fahim Al-Neshawy, Dan Häggman
- Student members:
- Sofia Ahola, deputy Anniina Haka
- Vilma Puusaari, deputy Aatu Jäntti
- Ollimatti Särkelä, deputy Janika Metsola
- Lauri Vallo, deputy Taneli Juutinen
- Rapporteur: Manager of Academic Affairs Mirka Jalonen
- Secretary: Coordinator Jaana Kauppi
Agendas for the academic committee's meetings can be found below (requires Aalto login).