Incoming exchange students to the schools of technology
You must be nominated for exchange by your home university. The link to the application will be sent to nominated students only.
Aalto University Schools of Technology strongly recommend at least two to three years of Bachelor’s studies before arrival as most of the courses taught in English are on Master level. Bachelor level students are allowed to select Master level courses as long as they fulfill the course specific prerequisites.
The online application opens one month before the application deadline. When you have received the email with instructions and the link to our online application, please follow the procedure below.
It's important that you only fill out and submit one online application form. If there is a problem with the form or you notice that you've made a mistake when filling it out, please contact us. Do not submit a new application.
- Official transcript of records in English (i.e. a list of all courses you have completed.) Note: If you are a Master's student include your transcript of records for your Bachelor's degree as well.
- Preliminary Study plan or Learning Agreement approved by your home institution.
- Erasmus+ students should use the Erasmus+ Learning Agreement form provided by their home university or print their OLA as pdf to the application.
- All other exchange students can use the study plan -form (the attachment can be found below.)
- English language certificate: an official test certificate (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL), or a statement by an English language teacher or other professor stating that you have the required level of English skills (equivalent to at least B2 on the CEFR scale) to study in your subject area. Only students, whose mother tongue is English or the home university is located in USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland, the UK, Singapore or in Hong Kong (and the language of instruction is English) are exempted from providing a language certificate.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of passport/ID card
Study Plan or Learning Agreement:
Please read Studies-pages before making your study plan. At least 2/3 of the courses selected must be from the same field of study. The Study Plan/Learning Agreement is preliminary and it will be accepted and checked only in the School you have applied to. It's important to write also the course codes in the Study Plan/Learning Agreement.
The admission process
1. Contact your home university's international office for information on your university's internal admission requirements, deadlines and the application procedure. Your home university nominates the candidates for exchange to Aalto University by sending a nomination email to the Aalto School they have an agreement with.
2. Fill in the online application form and submit it by the deadline with all the required documents attached.
3. Your Learning Agreement/Study Plan will be checked only in the Aalto school that you have applied to. You may be asked to make changes in your Learning Agreement/Study Plan.
4. The electronic acceptance (or rejection) letter will be sent to you by email. With the admission decision you will receive some useful pre-arrival material. Information about the application result will be sent to you within one and a half months after the application deadline. If you have not received any information from us by that time, please contact the exchange coordinator at the Aalto school you applied to.
6. When you have received the admission letter, please inform the coordinator at your home university about the decision (follow the instructions of your home university).