Become a mentor
Registration for autumn´s programme has ended. Thank you for all mentor candidates!
What mentoring may provide you as a mentor
- Opportunity to develop your mentoring, coaching and interpersonal skills
- Opportunity to structure and assess your own skills and experiences
- New perspectives and knowledge
- Avenue for having a say at Aalto University
- Chance to develop and expand your professional network
- Chance to meet a representative from a foreign culture
What we expect from you as a mentor
- Support the development of the student’s working life skills as a mentor
- One-on-one time with the actor once a month, on average
- Conversational and questioning approach instead of giving instructions
- Ability to set targets and agree on practical matters with the actor
- Responding to mentoring-related inquiries and providing feedback
- If any problems arise during the programme, contact the manager of the programme ([email protected])
What we do not expect from you as a mentor
- You are not required to offer your actor a job or an internship
- You do not need to answer every single question that your actor has
- You do not need to share all of your contacts with your actor
Please notice that we are not able to cover possible mentoring-related travel expenses.
Who can sign up as a mentor?
You can sign up as a mentor if you are a graduate of Aalto University or Aalto University Executive Education or their predecessors. Since a mentor should have a senior position to their actor, we wish you would have at least four years of working experience after graduation. We hope that alumni applying as mentors are still actively connected with the working life.
Who are the actor candidates?
The actors are Finnish and international Aalto University degree students who are currently completing their master’s degree. The students have applied as actors on the ground of their individual needs and expectations. Students applying to the programme represent almost all of Aalto University's fields. About half of the actor candidates are international students. Most of the students applying for the programme do their first degree, but there are also so-called adult students. In the Aalto University Mentoring Programme, students do not get study credits from the participation.
The majority of students applying for the mentoring program live in the Helsinki metropolitan area. Some students may be on exchange for part of the mentoring period, so there are also some `remote´ actors.
– Experiences from the mentoring programme
”I always learn how new minds start to approach the business world. New ideas, new enthusiasm and also new topics like sustainability.”