Public defence in Architecture, Landscape and Urbanism, Architect M.Sc. Hannu Tikka
Architect M.Sc. Hannu Tikka will defend the thesis "Julkisten rakennusten suunnitteluprosessit ja niiden haasteet. Tarkastelukohteina kymmenen Suomessa suunniteltua julkista kulttuurirakennusta pääsuunnittelijan näkökulmasta" on 4 November 2022 at 12:00 in Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Department of Architecture, in lecture hall E, Otakaari 1, Espoo.
Opponent: Prof. Janne Pihlajaniemi, University of Oulu, Finland
Custos: Prof. Pirjo Sanaksenaho, Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Department of Architecture
Thesis available for public display at: https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/doc_public/eonly/riiputus/
Doctoral theses in the School of Arts, Design and Architecture: https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/handle/123456789/54
Public defence announcement:
The Design processes of Public Buildings in Finland
-The basic aim of the study was to find out reason for the low visibility of Finnish architecture in today's international architectural press and the challenges facing the Finnish public building design process.
- The purpose of the research was to find out the progression of the design processes, the methods and the difficulties they face from the point of view of the main designer.
- The design processes of public buildings have been researched very little, especially from the point of view of the chief designer. - The results of the study were not particularly surprising.
- The main designers who participated in the interviews considered the initial stages of the design to be particularly important stages for the project, because the main architectural idea of the projects is defined at the beginning of the desing process.
The biggest challenges, i.e. the main results of the study, were:
- Deficiencies or errors in the initial design data.
- Timetables for planning phases
- Construction and design costs
- Cooperation difficulties of the parties involved in the projects
- Activities of other design consultants
The information can be used by parties involved in the planning processes of a public building. The descriptions of the design process can be used for teaching purposes, because there is no other similar material available in Finnish.
Contact information of doctoral candidate:
|Mobile||+358 50 3375197|