Remember to always use care and caution near tracks. Light rail line 15 started operating between Itäkeskus in Helsinki and Keilaniemi in Espoo on Saturday 21 October.
Light rail carnival - The opening event of the light rail line 15 in Otaniemi
The light rail line 15 between Itäkeskus in Helsinki and Keilaniemi in Espoo will begin operating on Saturday 21 October 2023, with the first train departing from the Aalto University stop (Otaniemi) at 9.20. This 25-kilometer track introduces new routes for light rail vehicles and offers convenient connections to the metro and commuter trains.
Join us in celebrating this occasion in Otaniemi, or take a ride on the light rail as a passenger! The first train leaves from Aalto University stop in Otaniemi, where the opening event will also be held (near the stop by the Harald Herlin Learning Centre). Another train arrives every 12 minutes to the light rail stops. Each train can accommodate up to 200 passengers.
Event stage program
- 8.45 am Event begins. Performance by musician Ilkka and welcome speeches.
- 9.15 am Opening ceremony with music from Retuperän WBK.
- 9.20 am The first tram departs.
- 9.30 am Musician Ilkka performs a song about the light rail line.
- 9.45 am Interview with Emma.
- 10.15am Performances by Ilkka and Retuperän WBK.
- 11 am to 12 am (noon) Music performed by Aalto DJs.
- 11.50 am The winner of the AYY light rail name contest is published.
Program at Korkeakouluaukio
- Coffee served from 9am
- Aalto University Junior's Super Soap Bubbles and street chalk art workshops
- AYY light rail name contest
- Information, overall badges, tram reflectors and other small surprises at event stands
- Guided tours: 45-minute tours start from the Väre main lobby (Otaniementie 14) at 10am, 10.30am and 11am. During the tours, you can explore Väre and the Harald Herlin Learning Centre.
- Special offers at A Bloc Shopping Centre
The event is open to all. All rights reserved.