Big Unanswered Questions in Financial Reporting
Our keynote speaker Ray Ball (Chicago University) is a distinguished professor in the field of accounting and financial reporting. The other key-note speakers are panellists Mr. Paul Koster (Dutch Investors´ Association VEB) representing investors and Mr. Christian Savtschenko (PwC) representing the audit industry. All three speakers bring different perspectives to the topic.
We warmly welcome you to participate in our seminar on 9 October,
from 13.00 to 16.00 at Aalto University, Room Harvard,
Ekonominaukio 1, 02150 Espoo
13.00: Opening remarks
13.05: Big Unanswered Questions in Accounting
• What is the actual economic role of financial reporting?
• Why is this question important, why is it unanswered?
• What types of inventive research design are needed to help answer it?
• Examples of the types of questions involved
Professor Ray Ball
Sidney Davidson Distinguished Service Professor of Accounting, University of Chicago
14:00: Coffee break
14.30: Panel discussion
• Use of information: Financial reporting vis-á-vis non-financial reporting
• Assured information vis-á-vis non-assured information
• Social, environmental and economic responsibility
• Good Governance
• What is the use of assurance in information sharing?
Ray Ball, Professor, University of Chicago
Paul Koster, Managing Director, VEB
Christian Savtschenko, Partner, PwC Finland
Moderator: Ms. Jasmin Hamid
16.00: Closing remarks
Associate Professor Lasse Niemi
The seminar is intended for anyone who is interested in the fundamental actual questions in financial reporting, the use of financial information and auditing. Researchers, students, auditors, regulators as well as representatives of business are all welcomed to the event.
The event will be conducted in English and it is free of charge.
Registration deadline is Monday 30 September 2019.
Organising committee - Inquiries
Pasi Horsmanheimo, Senior Counsel, Finnish Patent and Registration Office, [email protected]
Henry Jarva, Assistant Professor, Aalto University, [email protected]
Lasse Niemi, Associate Professor, Aalto University, [email protected]