Doctoral programme committee (School of Engineering)
Members of the Doctoral Programme Committee
The doctoral programme committee comprises a chair and 4 – 6 professorial members merited in doctoral education and representing the central fields of research of the school. One of the professorial members may be from another school within Aalto University. In addition, the committee has a doctoral student member representing the fields of research of the school. The committee elects a vice chair from among its members. The committee may have deputy members.
The term of the Doctoral Programme Committee is four calendar years. The term of the current committee continues until the end of year 2025. Student representatives are appointed for one calendar year at a time, by the proposal of the Student Union AYY.
Chairperson, professor Risto Lahdelma
|Prof. Matti Kummu
|Prof. Dominic Stead
|prof. Jussi Leveinen||Prof. Spyros Hirdaris|
|Prof. Jarkko Niiranen||Prof. Mika Salmi|
|Prof. Arttu Polojärvi||Prof. Simo Hostikka|
|doctoral student Krishna Chauhan (2023)||doctoral student Roope Nyqvist (2023)|
Secretary: Planning officer Ritva Viero
Meetings and deadlines 2023
Doctoral students will be informed of the decisions concerning them after the meeting.
|Deadlines for proposals||Meetings|
|13.1.2023 at the latest||Mon 23.1.2023 at 12:00|
|3.2.2023 at the latest||Mon 13.2.2023 at 12:00|
|10.3.2023 at the latest||Mon 20.3.2023 at 12:00|
|7.4.2023 at the latest||Mon 17.4.2023 at 12:00|
|12.5.2023 at the latest||Mon 22.5.2023 at 12:00|
|9.6.2023 at the latest||Mon 19.6.2023 at 12:00|
|11.8.2023 at the latest||Mon 21.8.2023 at 12:00|
|15.9.2023 at the latest||Mon 25.9.2023 at 12:00|
|13.10.2023 at the latest||Mon 23.10.2023 at 12:00|
|3.11.2023 at the latest||Mon 13.11.2023 at 12:00|
|8.12.2023 at the latest||Mon 18.12.2023 at 12:00|
Tasks of the Committee
The doctoral programme committee shall
- develop the content of the doctoral programmes and the joint studies offered by the school;
- put forth proposals to the school academic committee on the fields of research in doctoral programmes;
- prepare proposals for the Dean on admission of doctoral students;
- appoint the preliminary examiners of doctoral theses and decide on the permission for public defence of doctoral theses;
- appoint the opponents for doctoral theses;
- evaluate the doctoral theses;
- appoint the examiners of licentiate theses;
- evaluate licentiate theses; and
- perform other duties assigned to it by the Dean or in the degree regulations.
In addition, the doctoral programme committee shall, unless it has assigned the chair to decide on any of the matters:
- appoint a supervising professor and advisor(s) for the doctoral student;
- decide on the degree language of the doctoral student, and on the topic and language of the licentiate's or doctoral degree;
- confirm the study plans of doctoral students;
- decide on the time and language of the of public defence of the doctoral doctoral thesis, and appoint the custos for it.
Bylaws of the Aalto University School of Engineering
The Doctoral Programme Committee assigned the following matters to the Chair of the Doctoral Programme Committee from 1.8.2018 onwards:
- appointing a new supervising professor or thesis advisor, after the start of the doctoral studies, but before the pre-examination begins;
- deciding on the degree language of the doctoral student and on the topic and language of the licentiate or doctoral thesis, if the change is done after the start of the doctoral studies, but before the pre-examination begins;
- confirming the study plans of doctoral students; however if, for example, the decision of an individual study plan requires wider discussion, the Chair can reassign the matter to the Doctoral Programme Committee.
- deciding on the time and language of the public examination of the doctoral thesis and appointing the custos, if these have not been decided at the same time as the opponent or if they change; and
- confirming the full-time / part-time status of the doctoral student, if it changes after the start of the doctoral studies.
Doctoral programme in Engineering
This site is the student study guide for the Aalto Doctoral Programme in Engineering.