Prof. Orlando Rojas
I work with my team to uncover solutions that nature may provide to fulfill our material needs, by using, sustainably, resources that we find around us, including plants, marine shells and animals as well as biomass waste. Most of our work deals with small objects (colloids), including fibers, particles or other things with shapes that are not well defined. I hope to find disruptive ways to create positive societal impacts and to better our lives. I hope you have similar interests. If you do, I am more than open to collaborate and join efforts.
Dr. Blaise Tardy
Surfactants and supracolloids
Dr. Maryam Borghei
Hybrid materials, carbon nanomaterials
Dr. Kati Miettunen
Academy Fellow, Energy harvesting
My research focuses on next generation solar devices that could prepared using easy manufacturing methods and cheap materials. Besides development of novel materials for flexible solar cells and up-scaling the technology, I study the lifetime issues of these technologies and sustainability of the approaches. Regarding the latter topic, my research lies in utilizing abundant and renewable materials such as wood-derivatives. Overall, I am interested in how increase of renewable energy production changes the future energy systems.
Dr. Long Bai
Biocolloid-stabilized emulsions, food emulsions
My research is focused on the development of high-performance of emulsion system and product based on the naturally-derived materials. The label-friendly emulsions can be used in many fields that closely related to our daily life, such as foods, personal care, cosmetics. For future collaboration, the main point should be concentrated on finding a better and easier way to manufacture all natural emulsion systems.
Dr. Huan Siqi
3D printing, composites
I am working on the project about 3D printing technology combining with nanocellulose to prepare hydrogels or aerogels with different shapes towards different applications.
Dr. Sanna Hokkanen
Lipids in biomaterials is the topic of my deepest interest. I have worked within several different projects related to the lipids (determination of polar lipid partitioning in the dairy processes, production of microbial biodiesel from natural resources, production of health beneficial lipids by microbial means, understanding on the lipid metabolism of yeast affected by external fatty acids, examination of the cereal lipid behavior during processing, etc.). I am capable of carrying out various lipid analytic procedures and can apply the knowledge on different lipid systems. Please contact me if you would like to discuss the biobased lipids!
Dr. Bruno Mattos
Supracolloids, controlled release
Dr. Robertus Nugroho
Dr. Johanna Majoinen
Supracolloids and surface functionalization
Dr. Marco Beaumont
Cellulsoe derivaties and chemcial modification
Dr. Jukka Hassinen
Project Manager, FinnCERES Flagship
I am managing the Materials Bioeconomy Flagship FinnCERES funded by the Academy of Finland. FinnCERES is a competence cluster composed of researchers from Aalto University and VTT Technical Research Center Finland, who are working on lignocellulosics, sustainable materials and solutions for bioeconomy.
Alvaro Gonzalez Vogel
Electrodialysis in fiber lines
Separation of biocolloids, MFGM
I am a Doctoral Candidate in Aalto University and I hold a Master's degree from Food Sciences. As part of my PhD, I work with dairy innovations. In particular, I study the fractionation of milk and deployment of its lipid components and side streams. My aim is to expand the deployment of natural and functional ingredients and replace additives in food. At the moment, I have three peer-reviewed publications and more coming soon.
Bacterial cellulose and biofabrication
I am interested in finding new applications for sustainable biobased materials. My research work is focused on bacterial cellulose and development of nanocellulose materials for water purification.
Barrier solutions with biocolloids
Carbonized lignin filaments
My work is focusing on biobased materials such as cellulose nanofibrils, lignin, chitin nanofibrils for functional applications like conductive, fire retardance and biosensors.
Rheology and wet-spining of nanocelluloses
Superabsorbency and 3D printing
I am PhD student in the department of bioproducts and biosystems. I work in Biobased colloids and Materials research group (BiCMat) and I have currently two projects on going about fiber-based super-absorbents and also 3D printing of lignocellulosics.
Structural color with CNC
In my research, I use tiny nanoparticles manufactured from a highly abundant and sustainable bio-resource, wood. They assemble into interesting nanostructures that resemble the DNA helix. Uniquely, this creates structural colour with the potential to replace conventional toxic colorants. I engineer the creation of these nanostructures to be applied as cheap coatings providing colour and durability.
Analytical biocolloid characterization
Particle co-stabilized foams
I'm a PhD student working in colloidal chemistry with renewable resources (cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, chitin, bio-surfactants, etc.). My current research focuses on foam-related mechanisms (Foaming property, stabilization) and potential materials. By incorporating air into foam-based materials / systems, I could make light-weight materials with appreciable strength and insulation properties; and achieve efficient production with less raw materials and energy but more air (eg. foam forming fabrics). To further exploit foam-based materials / system, I would be interested in collaborating and working on bio-mimetic foam structure for functional applications in the future.
Smart nanocellulose films
I am a doctoral candidate in Aalto University studying patterning of nanocellulose films and bioactivity. My expertise areas involve surface modification of renewable materials and controlling of non-specific protein adsorption. My studies have given me a broad understanding of wood chemistry but I have especially gained experience with cellulose nanofibrils and nanocrystals.
Lignin carbon materials
I am a doctoral candidate in Aalto University developing advanced materail from lignin streams.
Preparation and characterization of stimuli-responsive cellulose foams
I am a doctoral candidate in BiCMat working on structured food using nanocellulose and nanochitin
Hybrid lignocellulose materials
I am a doctoral candidate working between Grenoble and Helsinki, in the groups of Prof. Julien Bras in France and Orlando Rojas in Finland
Rheology of nanocellulose suspensions
(co-advisor Prof. S. Khan, Chemical & Biomolecular Eng., NCSU, USA)
Soo Ah Jin
(co-advisor Profs. R. Spontak and S. Khan, Chemical & Biomolecular Eng., NCSU, USA)
Master and Summer students
Xuetong Shi, MSc student, Phase-changing Materials
Mikko Laine, MSc student, Biofabrication (co-advised with Prof. A. Frey)
Ishfaq Amal, MSc student, Foam phenomena
Noora Yau, ART Color & Material Design, Summer Researcher (advisor: Prof. J. Beidler)
Mahdi Rafiee, Piezo materials, Summer Researcher
Michael Rale, Fat colloids, Summer Researcher
Olli-Pekka Lehtinen, Licentiate thesis
Visiting scholars 2018-2019
Prof. Michael Tam (Sabbatical Visiting Professor)
University of Waterloo, Canada
Nazanin Zanjanizadehezazi, 1 year
The University of Helsinki, visiting PhD student from Helder Santos group
Cell proliferation and biomedical systems from 3D printing
Dr. Caio Gomide Otoni, 9 months
University of Campinas, visiting postdoc
Nanocellulsoe and nanochitins in packaging applications
Filipe Vargas, 1 year
University of Campinas, visiting PhD Student
Nanocellulose and nanochitins biomaterials
Gabriela L. Berto, 1 year
Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
High shear, high solids deconstruction of biomass
Carlos Eduardo Silveira da Silva, 1 year
Ciências Ambientais e Florestais, Brazil
Green biorefinery of industrial waste
Nabila Febriani, 5 months,
Textile Science and Technology, Shinshu University, Japan
Nanocellulose in polyolefin spinning
Antonio Maria Borrero Lopez (Erasmus), 3 months
Universidad de Huelva, Spain
Lignins for nanoparticles, oleogels and biofilms
Carmen Hervés, 2 months
Institute for Advanced Chemistry of Catalonia, Spain
Nanocellulose hybrids for energy applications
Yang Meng, 1 year
Beijing Forestry University, China
Phase changing materials from lignocellulose
Xiao Zhang, 2 year,
Nanjing Forestry University, China
Design functionalized lignin supramolecular microparticles
Niu Xun, 6 months
Nanjing Forestry University, China
Modification and application of nanocellulose
Prof. Haiming Li, 1 year
Dalian Polytechnic University, China
Nanocellulose in 3D printing
Dr. Rafael Grande, 1 year
Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
Joice Kaschuk, PhD student, (finished Feb 2018), 6 months
University of São Paulo, São Carlos, Brazil
Liang Liu, PhD student (finished Feb 2018), 1 year
Nanjing Forestry University, China
Okada Keisuke (finished May 2018), 2 years
Visiting Researcher from Arakawa Chemical, Osaka, Japan
Nanocellulose in papermaking
Imani Monireh, PhD student, 1 year
Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Iran
- Prajesh Adhikari – PhD, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, NCSU: Developing New Multicomponent Systems: From Coatings, Gels to Nanofiller Composites, January 2018.
- Ahsan Uddin – PhD, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Nanocellulose for control synthesis of nanoparticles and antimicrobial applications, 2018
- Miika Nikinmaa – PhD, College of Textile, Fiber and Polymer Science, NCSU: Wet-lay of Synthetic Fibers with Complex Fluids, 2017.
- Alexey Khalalo – PhD, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Advanced structures and compositions for 3d forming of cellulosic fibers, 2017.
- Majia Vuoriluoto – PhD, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Engineering Nanocellulose Biointerfaces Toward Bioactivity and Strength, 2017
- Jiaqi Guo – PhD, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Covalent modification of nanocellulose towards advanced functional materials, 2017.
- Fatima Vargas Gonzalez – PhD, Química Inorgánica e Ingeniería Química, Universidad de Cordoba, Spain: Biorrefinería de residuos de la industria agroalimentaria: Valorización de paja de cereals, 2017.
- Parham Tayeb – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Controlling the Hydrophobic Interactions in Papermaking Colloidal Systems by Soy Proteins and Lipoxygenases, 2016.
- Consuelo Fritz – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Lignocellulosic Materials and their Interactions with Proteins and Surface Active Molecules, 2016.
- Xioamin Lu – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Nanocellulose as additive and reinforcing agent in melt spinning of polyethylene and polypropylene, 2016.
- Shuai Li – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Valorization of lignins for use in multi-phase systems, 2015.
- Markus Korhonen– PhD, Forest Products Technology, Aalto University: Flocculation of cellulosic materials, polyelectrolyte complexes and mineral particles (advisor), 2015.
- Carlos Carrillo (now with Invista) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Application of Complex Fluids in Lignocellulose Processing, 2014
- Julio Arboleda (now with Colorquimica) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Chemical and Physical Characteristics of Soy Proteins for New Industrial Applications, 2014.
- Carlos Salas (now with Georgia Pacific) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Soy-based Polymers for Surface Modification and Interactions with Lignocellulosic Materials, 2014
- Laura Taajamaa – PhD, Forest Products Technology, Aalto University, Supported ultrathin ﬁlms and non-woven ﬁbre mats from polysaccharide containing bicomponent polymer blends (advisor), 2014.
- Abdelrahman Abdelgawad (now with NCSU) – PhD, Fiber & Polymer Science, NCSU: Antimicrobial Wound Dressing Nanofiber Mats from Multicomponent (chitosan/silver-NPs/polyvinyl alcohol) Systems, 2013.
- Nafisa Islam (now with Bangladesh University of Engineering) – PhD, Chemical & Biomelecular Engineering, NCSU: Surface plasmon resonance studies of the specific interactions of hexamer peptide ligands with human immunoglobulin G, 2013.
- Junyeong Park (now with NCSU) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Structural and Chemical Characterization of Thermally-Treated Woody Biomass, 2013.
- Kiran Goli (now with Intel) – PhD, Materials Science & Engineering, NCSU: Functional Coatings Based on Denaturation and Adsorption of Proteins, 2012.
- Xiaomeng Liu (now with Syngenta) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Partitioning of Amphiphilic and Charged Molecules on Polymeric Surfaces by Physisorption, 2011.
- Ingrid Hoeger (now with Kimberly Clark Corporation) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Ultrathin films of cellulose and lignin for studies on interfacial phenomena, 2011.
- Justin Zoppe (now with Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Surface Modification of Nanocellulose Substrates, 2011.
- Maria Soledad Peresin (now with Auburn University, USA) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Novel Lignocellulosic Composites, 2011.
- Mir Quddus (now with Whirpool) – PhD, Fiber & Polymer Science, NCSU: A systematic study of fatty acids interacting with crystalline cellulose surfaces via molecular dynamics simulations, 2011.
- Kelley Spence (now with EPA) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Processing and Properties of Microfibrillated Cellulose, 2010.
- Gang Hu (now with Georgia Tech) – PhD, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Adsorption and activity of cellulase enzymes on various cellulose substrates, 2009.
- Hongyi Liu (now with Cornell University) – PhD, Fiber & Polymer Science, NCSU: Fiber Lubrication: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study, 2009.
- Junlong Song (now with Nanjing Forestry University, China) – PhD,PhDPhDPhD Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Adsorption of Amphoteric and Nonionic Polymers on Organic Thin Films, 2008.
- Vilja Kauntola – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: oxidative stability of emulsions with pseudo cereal protein, 2016.
- Ben Jeuck – MSc, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU
- Rubina Ajdary – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Fiber-based Superabsorbents, 2017.
- Lauri Matikainen – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Nanocellulose as barrier coating deposited using a laboratory rod coater, 2017.
- Laocharoen Nikorn – MSc, Aalto Univ., Synthesis of cellulose filament for recycled fiber reinforcement, 2016.
- Xi Chen – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Paper-based plasmon-enhanced protein sensing by controlled nucleation of silver nanoparticles on cellulose, 2016.
- Haishu Lin – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Cellulose-based conductive polymers, 2015.
- Ling Wang – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Nanocellulose, Pectin and Lignin Biomimetic Composite Filaments by Wet Spinning, 2015.
- Janika Lehtonen – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Filtration Properties of Bacterial Cellulose Membranes, 2015.
- Wenchao Xiang – MSc, Bioproducts and Biosystems, Chem. Eng, Aalto University: Silver Nanoparticles Formation on Fibres and Po-tential for Optical Sensing, 2014.
- Miika Nikinmaa – MSc, Nanocellulose/ polyester composite stabilized by inter-material reactions, Forest Products Technology, Aalto University, 2013.
- Peter Jin – MSc, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: The Use of Soy Protein as a Dry Strength Additive in Papermaking, 2012.
- Ning Wu (now with RTP, Raleigh) – MSc, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Adsorption and Diffusion of Highly Charged Cationic Polyeletrolyte into Silica Gel Particles, 2009.
- Marianelly Esquivel Alfaro, Efecto del tratamiento térmico de fibras kraft sobre los factores que determinan la resistencia mecánica en papeles de alto desempeño, Maestría en Ciencia de los Productos Forestales, Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico, August, 2008.
- Chang Woo Jeong (now with Samsung, South Korea) – MSc, Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Interfacial Phenomena on Polymeric Thin Films, 2006.
- Katarina Tornqvist – MSc, Polymer and Fiber Science, KTH
- Fermin Moncada – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng., ULA
- Bethsy Lezema – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng. , ULA
- Ricardo Martin (now with AVTCP) – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng., ULA
- Manuel Costero – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng., ULA
- Edgardo Araque (now with Universidad Nacional Experimental de Guayana) – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng., ULA
- Amparo Andres – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng. , ULA
- Luis Gómez – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng. , ULA
- Antonio Aguilera (now with Universidad de Los Andes) – MSc, Pulp and Paper Eng. , ULA
- Franklin Salazar (now with Universidad de Los Andes) – MSc, Chemical Engineering, ULA
- Prof. Guihua Yang, Qilu University, China, Nanocomposites, 3 months.
- Dr. Marco Beaumont, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU), Vienna, Austria, Cellulsoe Nanoparticles, 2 months
- Dr. Oriol Cusola, UPC Spain, Lignin Nanoparticle Coatings, 6 monhs
- Dr. Kyujeong, Sim, Seoul National University, Capacitive separation, 6 months
- Bruno Mattos, PhD, Student, Materials Science and Engineering, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil, Suracolloids, 6 months.
- Liang Liu, PhD, student, Key Laboratory of Forest Genetics and Biotechnology, Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing, China, chitin nanofibers, 1 year
- Diego Gómez-Maldonado, MSc, student, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana – Cuajimalpa, México, Quartz microgravimetry, 2 months
- Prof. Vaidyanathan (Ravi) Subramanian, University of Nevada-Reno, 2016
- Prof. Shingo Yokota, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Kyushu University, Japan
- Prof. Junyong (J.Y.) Zhu, US Forest Service R&D and Uiversity of Wisconsin, Madison, 2016
- Prof. Cristina Pena, Escuela de Ingeniería de Guipúzcoa, Spain
- Prof. Hironori Izawa, Tottori Univ, Japan, 2014
- Prof. William Gacitua, Universidad del Bío-Bío, Chile, 2015
- Prof. Adriana Restrepo, Universidad Pontifica Bolivariana, Colombia (2013, 2014)
- Prof. Cristina Castro, Universidad Pontifica Bolivariana, Colombia (2012)
- Prof. Junlong Song, Naijing University, 2014
- Prof. Mariko Ago, Tokushima Bunri University, Japan, 2011, 2012, 2014
- Prof. Levente Csoka, West Hungary University, Jan-July 2010
- Prof. Juan Pereira: July 16, 2009 - September 15, 2009
- Prof. Jinhua Yan, Guangdong Industry College, China, 2013-2014
- Prof. Huiyu Bai, Jiangnan University, China, 2013-2014
- Prof. Henry Bock, Harriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, 2013
- Prof. Fredy Ysambert, Univ. del Zulia, Venezuela,
- Prof. Yalitza Figueroa, Univ. de Carabobo, 2005
- Prof. Ana Forgiarini, Universidad de Los Andes, Venezuela.
- Dr. Marco Beaumont, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU), Vienna, Austria, 2017
- Dr. Kyujeong Sim, Seoul National University, 2016
- Dr. Mehrez Elsayed Elsayed El-Naggar, National Research Centre, Egypt.
- Dr. Wael Eisa, National Research Centre, Egypt.
- Dr. Jose Luis Chiara, Fulbright Scholar, Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
- Dr. Young-Jun Lee, Visiting Scholar, Hansol, Korea (with Dr. Pawlak)
- Dr. Takashi Yamaguchi, Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd, Japan
- Dr. Maria Vallejos, Fulbright scholar, October 01, 2009 to December/31/2009
- Dr. Jose Maria Carbajo, Univ. Complutense de Madrid.
- Joice Jaqueline Kaschuk, PhD, Student, Solar cells, 2017
- Liang Liu, PhD, Student, Nanjing Forestry University, 2017 (one year)
- Bruno Mattos, PhD, Student, Materials Science and Engineering, Universidade Federal do Paraná, UFPR, Curitiba, Brazil (six months, 2017)
- Javier Abraham Hernández Díaz, PhD, Student, Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico, 2016.
- Isabel Carrillo, PhD, Student, Universidad de Concepcion, Chile, 2016
- Siqi Huan, PhD, Student, September 2016 (Northeast Forestry University, Harbin)
- Diego Gómez Maldonado, MSc, Maestría del Posgrado de Ciencias Naturales e Ingeniería de la Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Cuajimalpa, Mexico, 2017.
- Monir Imani, MSc, Starting in Aug six months, printing, 2017
- Keisuke Okada, MSc, two years, 2017
- Patricia E. Oliveira Martins, PhD, Student, Universidad del Bío-Bío, Chile, 2015
- Dimitrios Tsalagkas, PhD, Student, West Hungary University, 2015
- Antonio Pereira, PhD, Student, CSIC, Spain, 2014.
- Juliana Da Silva, PhD, Student, Universidad Federal de Viscosa, Brasil, 2014
- Amanda Araujo, PhD, Student, University of Sao Paulo, Brasil, 2014
- Alexey Khakalo, PhD, Student, Aalto University, 2014
- De-zhan Ye, PhD, Student, Sichuan University, China, 2013
- Tiina Nypelo, PhD, Student, Aalto University, Finland , 2012
- Rosana Rojas-Reyna, PhD, Student, Leibniz-Institut für Polymerforschung Dresden
- Oriol Cusola, PhD, Student, ETSEIAT – UPC, Terrassa Spain, 2012
- Luis Morales, PhD, Student, University of Helsinki, July 2012-present
- Laura Taajamaa, PhD, Student, Aalto University, 2010
- Karoliina Junka, PhD, Student, Aalto University, 2013
- Juana Suseth, PhD, Student, Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Jordi Garcia, PhD, Student, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain. July-Dec, 2009
- João Vinícios Wirbitzki, PhD, Student, Fulbright Scholar, UNICAMP, Brazil, 2011-2012
- Hannes Orelma, PhD, Student, Aalto University, Finland, June 2010 – January 2011
- Fatima Vargas, PhD, Student, Univ. Cordoba, Spain, 2013
- Elisabet Quintana, PhD, Student, Universidad Politécnica de Terrassa, Spain, 2011
- Elisabet Quintana, PhD, Student, Universidad Politécnica de Terrassa, Spain, 2015
- Cristina Castro, PhD, Student, Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, Colombia, 2011
- Arja-Helena Vesterinen, PhD, Student, Aalto University, Finland, May – Sept. 2010
- Angelica Grandon, PhD, Student, University of Concepcion, Chile, 2012
- Ana Ferrer, PhD, Student, Universidad de Cordoba, Spain, 2011
- Deusanilde J. Silva, PhD, candidate, Chemical Engineering, Polytechnic School-USP, Brazil
- Luis G. Castillo, MSc, Universidad de Guadalajara
- Catalina Alvarez, MSc, 02/01-07/31/2009
- Belkis Sulbaran, MSc, 3/30 - 6/30/2009
- Raquel Martin, MSc, August 12, 2009- December 2, 2009
- Miika Nikinmaa, MSc, Aalto University, Finland, October 2013-April 2014