Welcome to Finland and Aalto University
Welcome to Finland and Aalto University
We are happy that you are considering becoming part of Aalto University community! We offer great job opportunities also for international professionals. Aalto University and Finland welcomes you most warmly here.
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. People are the ones who create Aalto: they enable world class research, provide pioneering education, create trend-setting art and empower society-renewing collaboration. Join our international community!
Unique career possibilities
- A range of opportunities for career advancement, including the tenure track and lecturer track career systems, and career paths for support service positions
- A wide variety of training options in all areas related to research and artistic work, teaching, services and academic leadership
- We are a HRS4R-certified employer: we offer a stimulating working environment with fair and transparent recruitment and advancement processes
Diverse working environment
- We are a highly international university – 30% of our faculty comes from outside Finland
- Aalto has exceptionally strong international networks with partner universities and companies around the world
- We solve challenges by active collaboration and knowledge exchange between different academic disciplines, companies, startups, and public organisations
Flexible working culture
- Finland has one of the best parental leave policies in the world, guaranteeing both parents paid time off when they have small children
- To support work-life balance, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility for flexible work
- Finland is one of the countries that has the most annual leave in the world
Extensive services for our staff
- Our academic staff is supported by top-level experts, such as grant writers and pedagogical developers
- All Aalto employees receive private occupational health care services
- UniSport offers a wide range of low-cost sports services on our campuses
Do you share our values?
- Passion for exploration
- Courage to influence and excel
- Freedom to be creative and critical
- Responsibility to accept, care and inspire
- Integrity, openness and equality
Finland has been ranked amongst the top countries in the world for quality of living. Security, nearness to nature, value of education and comprehensive health care are priorities of Finnish society - and also highly recognised internationally. All this make Finland a great country to live in with a family.
We hope that all our international visitors, researchers, teachers, other staff, and family members will settle well in Finland and enjoy their stay.
Finland is the happiest country in the world
Sustainable Development Solutions Network, World Happiness Report 2018
Finland has the third least corruption in the world
Transparency International, Corruption Perceptions Index 2017
Finland is the safest country in the world
World Economic Forum, The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2017
Finland is the fourth most innovative country in the world
World Economic Forum (WEF), The Global Competitiveness Report 2017–2018: Innovation
Finland's primary education is the best in the world
(World Economic Forum, The Global Competitiveness Report 2016-2017: Primary Education)
Finland's quality of higher education is the third best in the world
(World Economic Forum, The Global Competitiveness report 2017–2018: Higher education and training/Quality of Education)
Finnish children have the third most secure childhood in the world
Save the Children, Stolen Childhood: End of Childhood, Report 2017
Finland is the third most gender equal country in the world
(World Economic Forum, Global Gender Gap Index 2017)
The air in Finland is the cleanest in the world
YLE, Finland tops WHO air quality statistics 2018.
Food in Finland is the cleanest in Europe
(European Food safety Authority, the 2015 European Union report on pesticide residues in food.
Helsinki is the third best city to live in
(65 cities in the comparison) Metropolis, The Best Cities to Live in (2016)
Of European big cities, Helsinki is the easiest and most pleasant to get around in
(20 cities in the comparison). Politico, Urban Mobility Index 2017.
Monocle: Helsinki the most liveable city, 2011 (video)
Need more proof?
Has a list of the comparisons in which Finland is one of the best in the world. The comparisons speak for themselves: Finland is a great country.