This proposal aims at upgrading the nation-wide, open-access magnetoencephalography (MEG) research infrastructure and strengthening it to the state of the future. MEG Core² will replace the existing MEG Core and will have a next-generation MEG system with the newest stimulation and monitoring techniques. Similarly to its predecessor, MEG Core² facility will be operated by the Aalto NeuroImaging(ANI), which is an open-access research infrastructure hosted by the Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering (NBE) at Aalto University School of Science. ANI is part of the Finnish Infrastructures for Functional Imaging (FIFI) for in vivo imaging within the Euro-BioImaging (Finland) consortium included in Finland's Strategy and Roadmap for Research Infrastructures 2014-2020. This endeavour will foster education, training, and translational brain imaging in Finland.
- Next-generation, state-of-the-future MEG system to Aalto University (to replace the existing MEG Core) with zero-boiloff system for liquid helium consumption.
- Ultra modern and high-definition stimulus presentation systems with, e.g. 3D-visual stimulation capabilities, as well as high-tech monitoring devices for complementary modalities, such as EEG.
Veikko Jousmäki, Aalto NeuroImaging and MEG Core Director
Roadmap to MEG Core²:
- ANI and NBE suggested a new technology (MEG) to be showcased in European Research Infrastructure for Imaging Technologies in Biological and Biomedical Sciences (Euro-BioImaging, EuBI or EuBI ERIC), April, 2017. [Completed]
- ANI/MEG Core submitted its willingness to act as a showcase provider for MEG in the showcasing of new technologies for EuBI, May, 2018. [Completed]
- Research proposal/Action plan submitted to the Academy of Finland, May 22nd, 2018. [Completed]
- Vectorview 20th Anniversary at Aalto University, May 23rd, 2018. [Completed]
- Site planning, May-August, 2018. [In progress]
- Either renovating suitable existing premises for the purpose or constructing a new space in proximity of other Aalto NeuroImaging imaging modalities (fMRI, TMS, ABL).
- Specifications and market enquiries of the MEG system, October 2018 - January 2019. [Pending]
- Funding decision from the Academy of Finland, December, 2018. [Pending]
- Implementation phase, January-August, 2019. [Pending]
- Competitive dialogues, placing the purchase order, removing the old MEG system and shielded room, installing the shielded room to a new site, delivery and installation of the new MEG system etc.
- MEG Core² in operation and training of users from September, 2019 onwards. [Pending]