Finlands utmärkta rykte kring utbildning kombinerat med många olika kurser som erbjuds på engelska gör Finland till en attraktiv studiedestination för internationella studenter. Finland kan stoltsera med den största teknikhubben i de nordiska länderna och är världsledande inom informationsteknik, handel, design och många andra akademiskt centrerade områden.
Bachelor's Programme in International Business, Mikkeli Campus
Till Bachelor's Programme in International Business söker man via portalen www.studieinfo.fi under den första ansökningsperioden 9.1–23.1.2019 (senast kl. 15.00 finsk tid).
Why study International Business at the Mikkeli Campus?
1. A big-picture view of the business world
Professors from the top of their fields use case studies, company visits and other versatile teaching methods to prepare you for a dynamic and global work life.
2. Aalto University School of Business’ graduates are well employed upon graduation
The average salary of the M.Sc. graduates of the School of Business upon graduation is 46 524 €/54 495 $ per year (Aalto University School of Business Career Services 2016).
3. Connecting with professors, teachers and students from around the world
The degree and exchange students and international professors from more than 50 countries make your studying experience unique and international.
4. Tight-knit student community and unique experiences during your studies
The programme has an active and international student community and alumni network. You can participate in various events and activities during and after your studies.
5. The chance to see the world and other cultures
You have the opportunity to study an exchange period as an international minor in more than 50 partner universities around the world on the 3rd year of your studies.
The Bachelor's Programme in International Business (BScBA Programme) at the Aalto University Mikkeli Campus offers an excellent education at the leading business school in Finland, which was first in the Nordic region to achieve triple crown accreditation (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA). Comprehensive teaching methods, international business studies, co-operation with local and international companies, and an exchange period on the third year of studies at a foreign partner university, provide a solid foundation for working in demanding and international business environment around the world.
You will learn core elements of business such as accounting, economics, finance, information systems, management and marketing and it is possible for you to enter the global job market straight after the programme. The studies also provide a firm foundation for advanced academic studies in the MSc and PhD programmes. The students of the BScBA Programme complete first the Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and Business Administration in Mikkeli and after that have an automatic study right to a Master's degree programmes at the Aalto University School of Business in Otaniemi Campus.
Language of instruction
The Bachelor´s degree studies at the Mikkeli Campus are offered in English. The Master´s degree studies at the Otaniemi Campus are offered mostly in English and in some programmes also in Finnish.
Because English is the language of instruction in the BScBA Programme, it is essential that all participants are prepared to understand rapid, idiomatic English as spoken in lectures and group discussions. Students are also expected to be able to read English with ease and to express their thoughts clearly in spoken and written English.
Field of specialization
The Bachelor’s Programme in Mikkeli focuses on a single major: International Business. After graduating from the BScBA Programme, students can continue studies in a variety of master’s degree programmes at the Otaniemi campus, but admission is decided according to program-specific criteria in their BSc studies.
Tuition fee and scholarship
Tuition fees concern degree students coming from outside of EU/EEA region or Switzerland who start their studies in English-language Bachelor's and Master's degree programs in August 2017 or thereafter.
At Aalto University the tuition fee is €12 000 per academic year for the Bachelor of Science in Economics and Business Administration degree offered in English at the Mikkeli campus and €15 000 per academic year for programs leading to a master’s degree.
With the introduction of tuition fees, a scholarship programme has also been introduced to support students who participate in a fee-charging degree programme. At Aalto University, the scholarships are granted in the form of a tuition fee waiver. The decisions on the scholarships are made on the basis of the academic merits of the students selected to study in the programmes. Applicants apply for the scholarship in conjunction with the admission process. The scholarship decision is made at the same time as the admission decision.
Aalto University also has an incentive scholarship system that will reward progress made in studies. More information on the tuition fees and scholarships can be found on the Aalto Web page.
The program is designed to train a new generation of business professionals and innovative leaders for different fields of business. A degree completed at the Aalto University School of Business offers a vast variety of international career options both in Finland and abroad.
The graduates of the Aalto University School of Business are well employed and the average salary of M.Sc. graduates upon graduation is 46 524 €/54 495 $ per year (Aalto University School of Business Career Services 2016). The alumni of the program work internationally in many positions related to their studies as business experts, specialists and managers in the field of sales, marketing, finance, trade, technology and public sector or as teachers or entrepreneurs. The program also prepares you for an academic career.
Positions held by Mikkeli alumni include e.g.:
- Project Manager
- Communications Specialist
- Sales Manager
- HR Specialist
- Marketing Manager
Post-graduate study options
Finnish university degrees correspond to Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctor’s degrees. In most fields students can also complete a voluntary Licentiate’s degree before going on to a doctorate. The Aalto University School of Business offers a 4-year doctoral program in English for graduates with the M.Sc. degree seeking academic careers or high-level positions in business.
Content of the studies
All students in the Mikkeli Campus have International Business as their major and the language of instruction is English. The programme is designed for full-time, almost year-round studying, making it possible for the students to complete the program in less than three years.
During the last year of the studies students conduct an international minor in one of the partner universities abroad, which also provides an opportunity for internationalization during studies. During the first and second year of studies, you will study required courses related to management, marketing, accounting, business communication and law, as well as micro and macroeconomics.
The programme offers a unique learning experience:
- The academic year consists of courses organized in 15 three-week modules, also during the summer. The intensive module system is designed to foster dynamic interaction among students and professors.
- In most modules, students will earn 6 ECTS credits; classes are scheduled for three hours a day, five days a week, for 45 contact hours including examinations. This means that studying in the BScBA Programme requires active attendance and participation.
- Each year 60-70 professors are recruited from all over the world to teach at the Aalto University Mikkeli Campus. These distinguished professors are top scholars in their fields and come from some of the most prestigious universities in the world.
- Studying in intensive modules allows the students and the lecturers to concentrate on the topic and genuine interaction.
- Internationally respected professors integrate cutting-edge knowledge into teaching and assignments. Various teaching methods provide an interesting, challenging and motivating learning environment.
- Many business and public sector representatives serve as guest lecturers in the courses. Students make several field trips and do projects for companies in each course. The cooperation with local and international companies ensures that the education prepares students for business challenges and real-life problems faced in the business world after graduation.
- One semester, usually the last, is studied abroad in one of the partner universities where students complete the minor subject studies as part of the BScBA degree. The BScBA Programme has 52 partner universities in many regions of the world. Every year, 70-80 international exchange students also study at the Mikkeli Campus.
- During the studies, the students will enhance their data analysis, teamwork and communication skills; all of which are necessary skills in business life. After graduating, the students have excellent skills to work in multicultural work environments; they have a high capacity for independent scientific and analytical thinking and good problem solving and language skills.
Information of the studies can be found from Into.
Structure of studies
Aalto University School of Business uses the ECTS-based credit system (European Credit Transfer System). The main principle of the ECTS-based credit system is that one academic year of studies comprises of 60 credits (ECTS), which equals to 1600 hours of work. The Bachelor’s Programme (180 credits) is normally completed in three years. The number of student workload hours expected for a course worth 6 credits is 160 hours (to include class hours and all other requirements as stipulated by the professor).
Of the 180 credits needed to graduate from the BScBA Programme in Mikkeli
- 60 are obtained through required core courses,
- 12 through required methodological studies,
- 42 through courses in international business major,
- 18 through required language and communication courses,
- 30 through minor subject studies (study abroad), and
- 18 through elective courses.
The minor subject studies (30 cr) are completed abroad in one of the partner universities.
You can find more information on the studies in Mikkeli from Into. You can also find more information on study options after graduating from the Mikkeli BScBA Programme in the Master´s degree programmes at the Otaniemi Campus from Into.
The Bachelor’s Thesis is a formal document that requires both a formal proposal and a defense in the Bachelor’s Thesis seminar (10 + 2 credits). The purpose of the Bachelor’s Thesis is to develop students' ability to carry out independent research work in the field of international business. The process is designed to develop skills such as preparing a research plan, including the research problem, questions and objectives. The thesis must include a theoretical frame of reference with a critical literature review, and the student must use suitable methods to obtain the relevant data and interpret it.
The Bachelor’s Programme in International Business at the Mikkeli campus offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to study in a program that is truly international in every aspect. The curriculum facilitates individual and collaborative learning in a multicultural context, while ensuring a firm foundation in the field of international business. Each year, 60-70 professors are recruited from all over the world to teach in the program. These distinguished professors are top scholars in their field and come from some of the most prestigious universities in the world.
One semester (usually the last) is studied abroad in one of the partner universities where students will complete the minor subject studies as part of the BScBA degree. The BScBA Programme has 52 partner universities in many regions of the world. Every year, around 70-80 international exchange students also study in the programme.
Programme-specific admission requirements
In 2019, a minimum of 82 degree students will be formally admitted to the Bachelor’s Programme in International Business at the Aalto University School of Business, Mikkeli Campus. Students accepted to the programme will get a study right to the Master of Science degree in Economics and Business Administration at the Aalto University School of Business, so that
- the student first completes the Bachelor of Science in Economics and Business Administration degree at the Mikkeli Campus and
- after graduating from Mikkeli, the student has an automatic study right to continue studies in one of the Master’s degree programmes offered at the Otaniemi Campus.
In addition, three new students can be admitted to the BScBA Programme on the basis of their studies completed in the Open University and two new students can be admitted as transfer students from other higher education institutions in Finland. There is a separate Aalto University School of Business admission process for Open University Track and transfer applicants.
Applications for the Bachelor’s Programme in International Business are to be submitted through the joint online application system for Finnish higher education institutions on studyinfo.fi (in Finnish opintopolku.fi).
The schedule for the application process and full admission criteria for 2019 can be found here.
Aalto University School of Business
Bachelor's Programme in International Business
50100 Mikkeli, Finland
email for admission issues: [email protected]
Aalto Mikkeli Campus WhatsApp
If you have questions concerning applying to the program, you can contact us also through WhatsApp.
You can find more information about the WhatsApp Service here.
Aalto Mikkeli FAQ
We gathered most frequently asked questions if you have something in mind. Questions are about applying, studies, accommodation and the student life in general.
More information here.
Get to know us
Here you can find interesting and inspiring stories about the program.
Flexibility and adaptability to change are good assets also in the trainees.
Students could perceive various cause-and effect relationships in the business environment.
The application period for the Bachelor’s Degree Programme in International Business runs from the 8th to 27th of January 2016.
“Use the good opportunities to grow your networks during the studies”, advises our alumnus Eero Nummela. “Having a comprehensive and versatile network is an asset for an employee, but also the employers appreciate it.”
The School of Business Alumni Ambassadors' youngest member, Olli Copeland urges everyone to make new connections and broaden one's network. "Especially being a part of student organizations is an excellent way to network", says Copeland.
Personal scholarships are 1 000 euros.