XIII Finnish Mechanics Days 2018 expresses a special appreciation to City of Helsinki.
Date and Venue
The conference is held on August 29–31, 2018, at conference center Chydenia in the Aalto University Töölö campus, Helsinki (Runeberginkatu 22–24).
Prof. Emer. Viggo Tvergaard, Solid Mechanics, Department of Mechanical Engineering, DTU, Denmark
Modelling ductile fracture at moderate to low stress triaxiality
Prof. Emer. Laszlo Fuchs, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Department of Mechanics, KTH, Sweden
Fluid mechanics of blood flow in life saving devices: accomplishments and challenges
CEO, DSc (Tech) Patrik Rautaheimo, Elomatic Ltd, Finland
Use of numerical simulations in engineering and design
Instructions for Authors
Prospective participants are invited to submit a short (half-page) abstract (one per registration), including the title of the presentation, as an e-mail attachment in the pdf-format to address [email protected] by May 31, 2018 – and after acceptance to register to the conference via the conference online system.
Registrations without presentation are welcome as well.
After the conference, participants will be invited to prepare and submit an extended abstract or a full-length journal article for a peer review process of a special issue of Rakenteiden Mekaniikka – Journal of Structural Mechanics.
Language for abstracts, presentations and articles can be either English, Finnish or Swedish.
Important Days, Registration Fees and Accomodation
|Deadline for one page abstracts
||May 15 extended to May 31, 2018
|Notification of acceptance
||June 15, 2018
|Deadline for early registration, 350 euros
||June 30 extended to July 23, 2018
|Deadline for late registration (with presentation), 400 euros
||August 1 extended to August 6, 2018
|Deadline for late registration (without presentation), 400 euros
||August 1 extended to August 15, 2018
Registration fees include welcome reception (Wed), conference dinner (Thu), lunch (Thu & Fri), coffees and snacks (Thu & Fri).
Hotel and hostel offers can be found via the conference online system: Hostel Domus Academica and Hotel Helka have reserved slots for the conference. Another recommended places is Töölö Towers. More options for can be found in online commercial booking services.
Accepted and registered participants will be announced by an e-mail about the conference program to be published on the conference website soon after August 6: pdf file (the final version 28.8.2018).
The following social program is included in the conference fee:
- August 29: Welcome reception at Helsinki Town Hall in Torikorttelit of Kruununhaka, Helsinki (Aleksanterinkatu 20)
- August 29: Get-together night at Brewery-Restaurant Bryggeri in Torikorttelit of Kruununhaka, Helsinki (Sofiankatu 2)
- August 30: Conference dinner in Meripaviljonki Restaurant in Siltasaari (or better, on Eläintarhanlahti), Helsinki (Säästöpankinranta 3)
- CANCELLED (the hall is out of order) -- August 30: Excursion to Aalto Ice Tank basin in the Aalto University Otaniemi campus, Espoo (Tietotie 1) (to be confirmed).
Department of Civil Engineering, School of Engineering, Aalto University:
- Juha Paavola, Professor of Structural Mechanics, Conference Chairman
- Jarkko Niiranen, Assistant Professor of Computational Structural Engineering, Conference Chairman
- Mikael Rinne, Professor of Rock Mechanics
- Lauri Uotinen, Chairman of Finnish Association of Structural Mechanics
Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering, Aalto University:
- Pentti Kujala, Vice Dean, Professor of Marine Technology
- Ville Vuorinen, Assistant Professor of Computational Fluid Dynamics in Energy Technology
- Jouni Freund, University Lecturer of Mechanics of Materials
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland:
- Tuomas Sipilä, Research Team Leader, Marine and Arctic Technology
CSC – IT Center for Science:
- Peter Råback, Product Manager, Elmer software
Abstracts: [email protected]
Online registration: https://confedent.eventsair.com/suomen-mekaniikkapaivat-2018/reg
Secretariat: [email protected]