Visitors and other third parties
The Travel Service team takes care of travel reservations for visitors. The inviter or host of the visitor can send a visitor travel booking request to [email protected]
The request should have the following details (please, without recipients in cc or bcc field):
- email subject field: destination and travel dates
- email message: travelers's names and contact details, destination and required services and schedule
Make sure to include the reference ID of your request in all your email communication (Subject field) with Aalto travel service team. Any changes to your request are best done by phone. In such case you also need the request reference ID number.
Travel takes place in tourist class. Visitors are accommodated in contract hotels whenever possible. If a spouse has been accompanying on the trip, the price of a single room is reimbursed.
The Travel Service team will assist in organising visitors’ travel insurance if needed.
Reimbursements to visitors and other third parties
The travel expenses of visits directly linked to the university's core activities may, under certain conditions, be reimbursed tax-free.
- For visitors who are employed elsewhere, the university can reimburse travel expenses (daily allowance, travel tickets, kilometer allowances, accommodation, etc.) in accordance with the Tax Authority’s guidelines. If a visitor is not employed elsewhere (e.g. freelancer), travel expenses to Aalto or daily allowances can not be paid.
- If a visitor does not represent their employer during their trip or visits purely on their own initiative, travel expenses are not reimbursed, and no daily allowance is paid.
- Reimbursements for travel expenses as well as daily allowances can only be paid to private individuals. If a visitor prefers billing through a company, the case is handled as a purchase invoice.
- The unit in question pays the travel expenses and daily allowances for opponents in doctoral defences (also possible rental expenses for a dress coat are paid). Any expenses for the post-doctoral celebration are paid by the defendant.
- For persons coming to Tenure Track site-visits, accommodation and travel expenses can be reimbursed tax-free against a receipt. However, daily allowances and kilometer allowances are not paid. Visits are combined with research collaboration discussions or other types of programs in addition to the interview.
- The travel expenses and daily allowances of Emeriti professors may be reimbursed if they have a valid Emeritus agreement, the trip clearly benefits Aalto (for example speaking in a conference as Aalto's representative), and travel and reimbursements have been agreed on in advance.
- If the traveler is employed by another organisation, the recommendation is that the organisation in question pays the traveler's expenses and then invoices the amount from Aalto University.
- Research subjects can be compensated for expenses directly linked to the research, and in medical research expenses for traveling to Aalto can also be reimbursed.
- Visitors can not be reimbursed for costs unrelated to trips tax-free, because they can not obtain products or services as a representative of Aalto.
- Special cases (for example, combining business travel with personal holidays) are interpreted the same way as with Aalto employees.
- Travel expenses of the visitor’s family members cannot be reimbursed tax-free. If the host department has agreed with the visitor to cover travel costs of family members, the costs have to be included in the remuneration. Tax officials regard travel cost reimbursement to family members as a taxable benefit.
The differences in compensations are also stated in the below attached expense compensation categories table.
Reimbursement of visitor's travel expenses
The visitor's personal and bank account details together with the information about the travel expenses are collected on an electronic reimbursement form.