Safety organisation – operating instructions and tasks
The primary purpose of the safety organisation is to ensure safe coping with hazardous situations arising from normal activities.
Tasks of the building safety organisation in case of fire or accident
- ensures that the emergency is reported to the Emergency Response Centre
- when deemed necessary, contacts the deputy safety manager
- organises guidance to the location for the rescue department
- establishes a command site and directs the initial actions
- hands the command responsibility over to the officer in charge of rescue operations.
Deputy Safety Manager
- when deemed necessary, contacts the safety manager
- acts as the safety manager when that person is absent or prevented from attending the case
- assists the safety manager in initial actions
- manages the assembly and first aid areas
- reports to the safety manager on the situation in the assembly area and in the building.
- ensures that the initial fire-extinguishing measures are started, if it can be done safely
- inspects their area and clears the area of all persons
- closes the doors and windows upon exiting
- provides the deputy safety manager at the assembly point with a report on the situation in their area.
First aid personnel (If any)
- retrieve the first aid equipment and possible stretchers (from Lobby Services)
- establish a first aid site at the assembly area or some other area specified for this purpose.
In buildings equipped with automated fire detectors, the Emergency Response Centre is notified when an alarm goes off. The alarm will also reach the on-duty maintenance person.
Emergency Response Centre, tel. 112, order of calling: 1) maintenance person, 2) safety manager
Only when there are special grounds to suspect that the persons listed above have not verified the alarm with the Emergency Response Centre, a call should be made to the Emergency Response Centre, tel. 112 (evening, night or weekend). When necessary,
- initiate first-aid extinguishing if you can do so safely (familiarise yourself with the first-aid extinguishing equipment).
- report the incident to the safety manager/area supervisor/Lobby Services/maintenance person.
- assist the area supervisor if requested.
- If items 1–3 are taken care of, leave calmly but swiftly and preferably in groups or pairs, and go to the assembly area, where you shall notify the deputy safety manager/area supervisor of your area of all matters that bear relevance to the fire/accident.
Security – Procedures for emergencies and disruptions
From Security page, you can find instructions for exceptional situations and information about safety preparedness and contingency plans. AaltoAPUA helpline 050 46 46 462.