Quan Zhou received the M.Sc degree in Control Engineering and Dr. Tech. degree in Automation Technology, both from Tampere University of Technology, Tampere, Finland. Currently, he is heading the robotic instruments group, in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation, School of Electrical Engineering, Aalto University, Finland. His research interests are miniaturised robotics, micro- and nanomanipulation, and automation, including topics such as acoustic manipulation, magnetic micromanipulation, soft matter manipulation, nanoforce characterization, and their applications in biomedical, material, and industrial applications. The research is highly interdisciplinary, from micro- and nanoscale physics, surface sciences, mechatronics, to robotics, automation, and machine learning. His work has been published in major international journals, including Nature, Nature Communications, Science Advances, Physical Review Letters, Advanced Materials, and IEEE Transactions.
Prof. Zhou is currently the coordinator of the TG Miniaturized Robotics of European Robotics Association (euRobotics). He was the coordinator of EU FP7 project FAB2ASM. He was also the General Chair of International Conference on Manipulation, Automation and Robotics at Small Scales, MARSS 2019, and the Chair of IEEE Finland Joint Chapter of Control System Society, Robotics and Automation Society and System Man and Cybernetics Society. Prof. Zhou has also won the 2018 Anton Paar Research Award for Instrumental Analytics and Characterization.
- Kopitca A., Latifi K., Zhou, Q., "Programmable assembly of particles on a Chladni plate", Science Advances, 7(39). doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abi7716, 2021.
- Hokkanen M.J., Backholm M., Vuckovac, M., Zhou, Q., Ras R.H.A., “Force-based wetting characterization of stochastic superhydrophobic coatings at nanonewton sensitivity”, Advanced Materials, 2105130, 2021.
- Cenev, Z.; Harischandra, P. A. D.; Nurmi, S.; Latikka, M.; Hyninen, V.; Ras, R.A.; Timonen, J.V.I.; Zhou, Q., "Ferrofluidic Manipulator Automatic Manipulation of Non-magnetic Microparticles at Air-Ferrofluid Interface", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2021.3081114, 2021.
- Cenev, Z., Würger, A. and Zhou, Q., “Motion and Trapping of Micro-and Millimeter Spheroid Particles on the Air-Paramagnetic Liquid Interface”, Physical Review E, 103, L010601, 2021.
- Bettahar, H., Harischandra, P.A.D., Zhou, Q., "Robotic Fiber Threading from a Gel-like Substance Based on Impedance Control with Force Tracking", IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, doi: 10.1109/LRA.2021.3116697, 2021.
- Wang, D., Sun, Q., Hokkanen, M.J., Zhang, C., Lin, F.Y., Liu, Q., Zhu, S.P., Zhou, T., Chang, Q., He, B. Zhou, Q., Chen., L, Ras, R., Deng, X., “Design of robust superhydrophobic surfaces", Nature, 582(7810), pp.55-59, 2020.
- Latifi, K., Kopitca, A., and Zhou, Q., “Model-free control for dynamic-field acoustic manipulation using reinforcement learning”, IEEE Access 8, 20597-20606, 2020.
- Seon, J.A., Cenev, Z., and Zhou, Q., “Automatic Noncontact Extraction and Independent Manipulation of Magnetic Particles Using Electromagnetic Needle”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 25 (2), 931-941, 2020.
- Latifi, K., Wijaya, H, and Zhou, Q., “Motion of heavy particles on a submerged Chladni plate”, Physical Review Letters, 122(18), p.184301, 2019.
- Dong, Z., Schumann, M.F., Hokkanen, M.J., Chang, B., Welle, A., Zhou, Q., Ras, R.A.H., Xu, Z., Wegener, M., and Levkin, P.A., “Superoleophobic Slippery Lubricant-Infused Surface: Combining Two Extremes in the Same Surface”, Advanced Materials, 1803890, 2018.
- Cenev, Z., Zhang, H., Sariola, V., Rahikkala, A., Liu, D., Santos, H.A., and Zhou, Q., “Manipulating Superparamagnetic Microparticles with an Electromagnetic Needle”, Advanced Materials Technologies, 3 (1), 1700177, 2018
- Liimatainen, V., Vuckovac, M., Jokinen, V., Sariola, V., Hokkanen, M., Zhou, Q., Ras, R.H.A., “Mapping microscale wetting variations on biological and synthetic water repellent surfaces”, Nature Communications, 8, 1798, 2017.
- Mastrangeli, M., Zhou, Q., Sariola, V., Lambert, P., “Surface tension-driven self-alignment”, Soft Matter, 13 (2), 304-327, 2017.
- Zhou, Q., Sariola, V., Latifi, K., Liimatainen, V., “Controlling the motion of multiple objects on a Chladni plate”, Nature Communications, 7, 12764, 2016.
- Liimatainen, V., Shah. A., Johansson, L., Houbenov, N. and Zhou, Q., “Maskless, high-precision, persistent and extreme wetting-contrast patterning in an environmental scanning electron microscope”, Small, vol. 12 (14), pp. 1847-1853, 2016.
- Chang, B., Zhou, Q., Ras, R., Shah, A., Wu, Z., Hjort, K., “Sliding droplets on hydrophilic/superhydrophobic patterned surfaces for liquid deposition”, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 108, 154102, 2016.
- Routa, I., Chang, B., Shah, A., Zhou, Q., “Surface Tension Driven Self-alignment of Microchips on Low-precision Receptors”, IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 23 (4), pp. 819-828, 2014.
- Liimatainen, V., Sariola, V., Zhou, Q., "Controlling liquid spreading using microfabricated undercut edges", Advanced Materials, Vol. 25(16), pp. 2275–2278 (frontispiece on page 2274), 2013.
- Chang, B., Sariola, V., Aura, S., Ras, R.H.A., Klonner, M., Lipsanen, H., and Zhou, Q., “Capillary-driven self-assembly of microchips on oleophilic/oleophobic patterned surface using adhesive droplet in ambient air”, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99, 034104, 2011.
- Sariola, V., Jääskeläinen, M., and Zhou, Q., “Hybrid microassembly combining robotics and water droplet self-alignment”, IEEE Transaction on Robotics, Vol. 26, Issue 6, pp. 965 - 97, 2010.