Summer holidays 2017 and holiday bonus leaves in Service Units
At the same time it is possible to convert holiday bonus in a whole or in part into a paid leave and/or carry over some annual holiday to be taken later on.
As a reminder to service staff and their supervisors:
- So called old holidays, ie 2016 holidays are taken by 31 May 2017.
- It is good to plan team member’s summer holidays well in advance before summer, by 31 May.
- It is recommended to take 4-5 weeks holiday during the summer period, or at least 2 weeks in a row.
- It is also possible to convert a part of your holiday bonus into paid leave but you’ll have to agree on this with you closest supervisor by 31 May 2017.
Please note that this is not an automatic right and your supervisor can decline or set a limit on how many days can be converted, in order to secure unit operations over the holidays.
- Employees may carry over annual leave which exceed 20 days of total accrued holiday, if it doesn't cause any harm to normal activity of the university. All leave carried over must be used up within a period of 5 years.
(The holiday bonus for research and teaching staff is paid based on their notional annual holiday entitlement in July. Conversion of holiday bonus into holiday pay leave is not possible for research and teaching staff.)
How to take holiday? How to convert holiday bonus? How to carry over annual leave?
- In the teams it is discussed and agreed on when it is possible to take summer holiday and is it possible to convert holiday bonus into paid leave.
- Holiday proposal is sent to supervisor in advance using primarily the ESS-system. The supervisor gets an email through which he can approve the proposal. The holiday period is automatically saved into the system after supervisor approval.
- Converting holiday bonus into paid leave can be agreed through the ESS-system in the same way as a holiday proposal.
- Saving / carrying over holiday is also agreed and registered through the ESS-system.