Record number of Academy Projects
On 16 June, the Academy of Finland’s Research Council for Natural Sciences and Technology granted Aalto University a total of EUR 14.3 million in funding for 31 Academy Projects. The corresponding funding for the previous year was 20 projects and EUR 8.9 million.
‘The high level of Aalto’s research is bearing fruit, which is reflected in the exceptionally high amount of project funding. In addition, a pleasing number of our young researchers are among the postdoc-funded ones, and thus gaining momentum with an independent research career’, says Ossi Naukkarinen, Vice President for Research
The total funding of EUR 25.3 million granted by the Academy of Finland from the September 2019 call will bring a total of 37 Academy Projects, as well as 10 Academy Research Fellows and 18 Postdoctoral Researcher posts to Aalto University as of 1 September 2020. The corresponding funding for the previous year totalled EUR 20.6 million. The Academy Projects awarded to Aalto are for four years, Academy Research Fellows have five-year and Postdoctoral Researchers three-year periods.
‘We received funding for each of our schools and all seven of our key research areas. Warm congratulations to all! I encourage researchers who have not yet received funding to try again – each application will help sharpen your research plan.’
Academy Projects, natural sciences and technology 1.9.2020–31.8.2024
- Alku, Paavo, Dept. of Signal Processing and Acoustics. Speech-based biomarking of heart failure (450 476 e)
- Andraud, Martin, Dept. of Electronics and Nanoengineering. When integrated systems gain life experience: towards self-learning circuits with resource-efficient embedded artificial intelligence (590 912 e)
- Consortium ESTV: Intelligent Techniques in Condition Monitoring of Electromechanical Energy Conversion Systems.
Belahcen, Anouar, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Aalto (279 692 e)
Jung, Alex, Dept. of Computer Science, Aalto (225 487 e)
Keränen, Janne, VTT (219 473 e)
Minav, Tatiana, University of Tampere (249 346 e).
- Consortium NOPOSIP: Novel optical isolators to continue Moore's law in photonics integration (NOIMO).
Das, Susobhan, Dept. of Electronics and Nanoengineering, Aalto (338 748 e)
Aalto, Timo, VTT (497 261 e)
- Deska, Jan, Dept. of Chemistry and Material Sciences. SweetCu: Sugar-active metalloenzymes as novel motif in synthetic biocatalysis (546 153 e)
- Consortium MeXICO: Mobile Cross Reality through Immersive Computing.
Di Francesco, Mario, Dept. of Computer Science, Aalto (404 653 e)
Siekkinen, Matti, University of Helsinki (399 858 e)
- Eltsov, Vladimir, Dept. of Applied Physics. Weyl and flat-band fermions in topological superfluids (452 642 e)
- Fink, Gerhard, Dept. of Civil Engineering. Glued laminated timber – 2nd generation GLT 2.0 (482 197 e)
- Groth, Mathias, Dept. of Applied Physics. MoPEF: Molecules and Photons in the edge of fusion plasmas (589 805 e)
- Halonen, Kari, Dept. of Electronics and Nanoengineering. Wireless impulse radio data link powered by energy harvesting (450 000 e)
- Ikkala, Olli, Dept. of Applied Physics. Optical spiking driven out-of-equilibrium biomimetics (532 339 e)
- Jokinen, Jussi, Dept. of Communications and Networking. Machines that Understand People (474 498 e)
- Jäntti, Riku, Dept. of Communications and Networking. Backscatter enabled sustainable monitoring infrastructure for assisted living (BESIMAL) (595 641 e)
- Kaario, Ossi, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering. Reacting flow near cool walls (493 432 e)
- Consortium FlexiB: Integration of building flexibility into future energy systems.
Kurnitski, Jarek, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Aalto (299 493 e)
Kiviluoma, Juha, VTT (399 298 e)
Hasan, Ala, VTT (296 410 e)
- Noferini, Vanni, Dept. of Mathematics and Systems Analysis. Non-backtracking centrality measures and beyond (547 496 e)
- Oliveira, Fabricio, Dept. of Mathematics and Systems Analysis. Decision Programming: A Stochastic Optimization Framework for Multi-Stage Decision Problems (544 435 e)
- Consortium ALDI: Reactive flow in porous media: Modelling and experiments in atomic layer deposition context.
Puurunen, Riikka, Dept. of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering, Aalto (496 736 e)
Vuorinen, Ville, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering (317 023 e)
- Rinke, Patrick, Dept. of Applied Physics. Machine Learning Materials for Solar Energy (449 609 e)
- Consortium CleanSchool: Discovering safe cleaning for school buildings to reduce harmful chemical, particle and microbial footprint.
Salonen, Heidi, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Aalto (389 517 e)
Alander, Jarmo, University of Vaasa (199 503 e)
Hyvärinen, Anne, Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (405 143 e)
- Salovaara, Antti, Dept. of Design. Methodology for HCI evaluations of possible futures (576 177 e)
- Suomela, Jukka, Dept. of Computer Science. Local Checking, Solving, and Mending—New Perspectives on Distributed Computing (450 215 e)
- Taylor, Zachary, Dept. of Electronics and Nanoengineering. Flab Assessment via Submillimeter wave Imaging Technology (FASIT) (555 647 e)
- Tirkkonen, Olav, Dept. of Communications and Networking. Quantum-Classical Coding and Communications (498 716 e)
- Tretiakov, Sergei, Dept. of Electronics and Nanoengineering. Engineering electromagnetic response of materials using time-modulated components (450 225 e)
- Uitto, Jara, Dept. of Computer Science. Massively Parallel Algorithms for Large-Scale Graph Problems (470 377 e)
- Vujaklija, Ivan, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Automation. High-Fidelity Bidirectional Neural Drive Interfacing (Hi-Fi BiNDIng) - Framework for investigating and restoration of human upper limb sensory/motor function (458 358 e)
- Vähänissi, Ville, Dept. of Electronics and Nanoengineering. Super-sensitive ?/X- and NIR-radiation detectors via defect-free nanostructures: Next Imaging Revolution? (NIR) (408 676 e)
- Consortium RoboCelli: Robotic Magnetic Needle Characterization of Single Nanoparticle Uptake in Cells.
Zhou, Quan, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Aalto (514 289 e)
Almeida Santos, Hélder, University of Helsinki (423 436 e)
Read more about the new Academy Projects in the fields of natural sciences and technology
Other funding granted to Aalto by the Academy of Finland from the September 2019 call
News on the Academy Projects in other fields, as well as Academy Research Fellows and Postdoctoral Researchers, decided by the Academy of Finland in April and May have previously been published on aalto.fi:
Academy Projects, biosciences, health and the environment, and culture and society 1.9.2020–31.8.2024
(Funding decisions of the Academy of Finland on 27 and 28 May, news published 29 May 2020)
Academy Research Fellows 1.9.2020–31.8.2025 and
Postdoctoral Researchers 1.9.2020–31.8.2023
(Funding decisions of the Academy of Finland on 27 April 7 and 12 May, news published 15 May 2020)
Read more about funding decisions on the Academy of Finland's website