Changes in incentive scholarships for doctoral students
The following incentive scholarships which will be awarded by application to doctoral students who meet the conditions for receiving a scholarship during 1 January 2022 – 31 December 2025.
- 500€ scholarship for doctoral student for the first two scientific articles to be included in the doctoral thesis, in which the doctoral student is one of the main authors, published on a publication forum specified by the School. Publication forums are defined by each School. One student cannot get more than two 500 -euro scholarships from the Aalto incentive scholarship scheme.
- 2,000€ scholarship for completing the doctoral degree, provided the following conditions are met within four years of being admitted to the doctoral programme: The doctoral student has completed the studies in accordance with his/her doctoral personal study plan approved for the doctoral degree, and the Doctoral Programme Committee has appointed the preliminary examiners for the doctoral thesis manuscript. Or for completing the doctoral degree, provided the degree was earned by the end of the calendar year the doctoral student turns 30.
The time spent on maternity and parental leave as well as national military or non-military service completed may be excluded from the calculated duration of study. However, if the scholarship is age related, no deduction is granted.
- The 500€ scholarship for completing the theoretical studies within 1 year and 6 months from the start of your doctoral studies will no longer be given from year 2022 onwards. This means that the criteria have to be fulfilled this year, i.e., all credits have to be completed within year 2021. After this, you will have 6 months to apply for the scholarship, from the date of your last credit.
- You will be able to receive two 500€ scholarships, one for each of your two first articles published in peer-reviewed venues, instead of only for your first article. Please check the guidelines above. Possible school-specific criteria will be available by January 2022.
- The definition of the study time in 2,000€ scholarship for completing the doctoral will be exactly four years of being admitted to the doctoral programme (and not 8 semesters). If you are at the end of your studies, please take this into account when planning the schedule of submitting the thesis to pre-examination.
FAQ’s and answers
I have already received a scholarship of theoretical studies, can I now receive also the two scholarships for the first two articles?: No, you can receive maximum of 2 scholarships of 500€.
My last exam is in December, but the credits will be registered in January. Do I lose my scholarship for theoretical studies?: No, the completion date is the exam date (if it is the last exam/task of the course). You have 6 months to submit the scholarship application counted from the last completion date.
I have completed my last course in December, but my study plan has not yet been confirmed. Do I lose my scholarship for theoretical studies?: No, you can request approval of your study plan simultaneously with submission of the scholarship application, within 6 months from the date of the last study attainment.