Aalto received 15.9 million euros from the Academy of Finland September call
In the Academy of Finland’s September 2017 call researchers could apply for funding for Academy Projects and for the posts of Academy Research Fellow and Postdoctoral Researcher in four research areas: natural sciences and engineering, culture and society, biosciences and environment, and health.
Aalto University received funding for 9 Academy Research Fellows, 11 Postdoctoral Researchers and 22 Academy Projects. Funding was granted by Academy Research Councils in all four fields. The majority of funding came to the field of natural sciences and engineering, where one fifth of all funding was granted to Aalto University.
‘Natural sciences and engineering rely on strong basic research, and they benefit society and business life in different ways. Finnish research in the field of technology is of an internationally high standard in, for example, electrical engineering and electronics, biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering and civil engineering. This year, the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering received many high-quality applications. The Aalto University School of Science succeeded excellently, in particular the Department of Applied Physics. Also the School of Electrical Engineering offered projects of a delightfully high quality’, says Sirkka Jämsä-Jounela, Aalto University Professor and member of the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering.
Funding from the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering, 18 June 2018
The Academy of Finland’s Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering decided on 18 June to grant Academy Project funding for 88 research projects. The funding, primarily granted for four years, totals some 39.5 million euros. Aalto University received 7 million euros on funding of 16 projects, which is 18% of all funding granted.
The following projects of Aalto were funded:
- Alava, Mikko, Aalto SCI /PHYS, Fluctuations in Fracture, 494 374 €
- Astala, Kari, Aalto SCI /MS, Geometric Analysis and Conformal Structures, 600 000 €
- Foster, Adam, Aalto SCI /PHYS, Molecular resolution at solid-liquid interfaces, 474 453 €
- Karttunen, Antti, Aalto CHEM /CMAT, Atomistic Thermal Engineering of Metal Oxides (ATOM-THERMOX), 447 128 €
- Kauppinen, Esko, Aalto SCI /PHYS, CNTstress - Using Carbon Nanotube Materials to Improve the Stress Grading System of an Electrical Machine, 400 000 € / Consortium: CNTstress
- Kiviniemi, Timo, Aalto SCI /PHYS, Cyclokinetic edge turbulence in tokamak plasmas, 554 617 €
- Kostiainen, Mauri, Aalto CHEM /BIO2, Structures of Endogenous of Macromolecular Assemblies, 248 053 € / Consortium: SEMMA
- Laukkanen, Timo, Aalto ENG /ME, Role of forest industry transformation in energy efficiency improvement and reducing CO2 emissions, 201 967 € / Consortium: METE
- Oulasvirta, Antti, Aalto ELEC /COMNET, 560 537 €
- Pulkki, Ville, Aalto ELEC /SPA, Hybrid modeling of acoustics for virtual reality audio engines, 516 852 €
- Savolainen, Tuomas, Aalto ELEC /ELE, From quasars to geodesy: how astronomy can enable a new era in ultra-precise geodetic measurements, 399 949 € / Consortium: NT-VGOS
- Tan, Kuan, Aalto SCI /PHYS, Fast Cryogenic Microwave Photon Power Metrology in Superconducting Quantum Circuits (CRYOMET), 372 270 €
- Tulkki, Jukka, Aalto SCI /NBE, Mass-polariton theory of light: from theory to simulation of experiments, 238 153 €
- Tuomisto, Filip, Aalto SCI /PHYS, Charge traps in crystalline matter for future technologies (CRYSTRAP), 568 335 €
- van Dijken, Sebastiaan, Aalto SCI /PHYS, Ionic control of electronic, magnetic, and plasmonic nanomaterials, 499 229 €
- Vuorinen, Ville, Aalto ENG /ME, Tri-Reactivity Ignition: Simulation and Experiments, 443 002 €
See the list of funded projects (aka.fi)
Decisions informed earlier
Research council for natural sciences and engineering
Postdoctoral researchers and research fellows
In May, the Academy of Finland decided on funding for 37 new Postdoctoral Researchers and 22 new Academy Research Fellows in total. The funding for the Postdoctoral Researchers amounts to some 9.5 million euros and for the Academy Research Fellows to some 9.7 million euros. Aalto received funding for seven Research Fellows and nine Postdoctoral Researchers.
Research council for culture and society
In June, the Research Council for Culture and Society granted Academy Project funding for 60 research projects. The total funding is worth around 24.4 million euros.
In April, the Research Council for Culture and Society granted Research Fellow funding for 21 researchers. The total funding is worth around 9.2 million euros.
In April, the Research Council for Culture and Society granted Postdoctoral Researcher funding for 32 researchers. The total funding is worth around 8 million euros.
Research council for Biosciences and environment
In May, the Research council for Biosciences and environment granted funding for 36 new Academy Projects The total funding is worth around 18 million euros.
In April, the Research council for Biosciences and environment granted funding for 11 new Research Fellows. The total funding is worth around 4.8 million euros
In April, the Research Council for Biosciences and environment granted Postdoctoral Researcher funding for 16 researchers. The total funding is worth around 4.3 million euros.
Research council for Health
In May, the Research Council for Health granted funding for 42 new Academy Projects.
The Academy of Finland's September call included some targeted and programme calls. They have not been mentioned in this article. Please find more information on the Academy website www.aka.fi/en.