International students

Student residence permit and health insurances

Before you arrive in Finland, please check whether you need to apply for a residence permit for your studies and what kind of health insurance is required. Sometimes these processes might take a while, so it is good to get started as soon as possible.

Residence permit for studies

Students arriving from non-EU/EEA countries generally need to apply for a residence permit for their studies in Finland.

EU/EEA citizens do not need to apply for a residence permit, but have to register with the authorities upon arrival. For more details, please see the registering with the authorities page.

If you are a doctoral student, please check the instructions on residence permits for doctoral studies.

Health insurance

University does not prodive health insurance for international students. Please make sure you have a valid health insurance during your studies, as FSHS (Finnish Student Health Services) only provide basic health care services, and do not perform medical operations or have emergency services.

Without proper insurance, the costs of treatment at a hospital may rise to several hundreds or thousands of euros if you need hospital care or laboratory tests. The university is not responsible for any payments or arrangements.

International students
  • Published:
  • Updated:
URL copied!