The three projects examine the long-term effects of premature birth, emotional states within groups, and children's brain activity during language processing. The total sum granted to these Aalto projects is about EUR one million.
Attention and Memory
In the Attention and Memory group, we investigate the neural mechanisms underlying attention and memory and the development of executive functions in healthy children, adolescents and adults, and in children with neurodevelopmental disorders. We also study neural mechanisms of brain plasticity in early blind compared to normally sighted subjects. We carry out behavioural studies in conjunction with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and navigated transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to better understand the relationships between brain activity and behaviour.
Aalto University, Espoo
Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki
- Child Psychiatry, Hospital for Children and Adolescents
- Pediatric Neurology, Hospital for Children and Adolescents
University of Helsinki
- Institute of Biomedicine/Physiology
- Institute of Behavioural Sciences
- Kunming Institute of Zoology, Kunming
- National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Understanding brain function might help in the development of new treatments for neuropsychiatric illnesses in the future.