Meet the MECHuman
We research, teach, develop and create solutions that are safe and efficient, targeting social need and shaping a sustainable future, based on scientific know-how, and experimental analysis with digital design, data-driven processing and advanced control in:
- Marine and Arctic Technology
with Aalto Ice and Wave Tank as key infrastructure
- Materials (and manufacturing) to Products
with Aalto University Design Factory and ADDLAB as key infrastructure
- (engineering mechanics and) Mechatronics
with Center of Excellence on High-Speed Electromechanical Energy Conversion Systems and Aalto Industrial Internet Campus as key infrastructure
inDEPthMEC is a strategic platform, operated in a transversal approach to the department's research groups. Through inDEPthMEC, we enhance and collect the fundamental research produced within MECHuman. Other characteristics of the department's strategic platform are:
- It collects and applies the department's strategic funding for the operationalisation of its strategic research flagships.
- It is aligned with the university's strategy towards fundamental research with societal impact.
- It is the platform for disseminating good practices and installed capacities in the modelling, simulating and measuring of materials, structures, energy flows and machine performance.
- It is the platform for the management of the Aalto Seminar Series on Mechanical Engineering Sciences.
The department’s multidisciplinary research is committed to converge on three flagships: arctic technology, digital twin world, sustainable energy vectors
Encompassing both experimental and numerical modelling, with ice and/or cold climate as a key element.
Digital twin world
Encompassing digitalization applied to materials science and/or manufacturing and/or product design.
Sustainable energy vectors
Encompassing hydrogen-based vectors in power-to-x and x-to-power applications.
- To publish high-quality and fundamental research supported by multidisciplinary collaboration
- To promote active participation in strong national and international research consortiums applying to competitive funding
- To prioritize novel experimental techniques in modern infrastructure supported by digital- and data-driven methods
- To enhance quality of education, of a more balanced in gender generations, supported by motivated teachers with pedagogical awareness and use of monitoring tools (e,g, TCI/TAM by ENG) towards a fair workload distribution and efficient steering by programme directors
- To integrate and promote advanced know-how and students into societal impact, with inspiration on the creative design practices at Design Factory, walking with industry, and jumping for start-ups with radical creativity
- To strive for a culture of ambition and commitment with Aalto values, in balance with wellbeing, conducted by a motivated research and technical staff