EMOID – EMOtional Interaction, Decision making, and technology
The mission of EMOID
The mission of EMOID is to conduct world-class research to increase our understanding of the emotional and cognitive processes when humans are interacting with ICT, media, games, services, and other people in different contexts, including decision-making situations.
The research foci of EMOID include:
e.g., during technology and media use or a service encounter
Emotion- and cognition-related neuro-/psychophysiological recordings can be carried out when people are interacting and making choices in different contexts (e.g., laboratory, street, department store). EMOID has high expertise in using neuro-/psychophysiological recordings to index emotional and cognitive processes.
EMOID has a state-of-the-art neuro-/psychophysiology laboratory, including data acquisition systems for recording electroencephalography (EEG), facial electromyography (EMG), electrocardiography (ECG), and electrodermal activity (EDA), among other signals. The group has also SMI Eye Tracking Glasses and several advanced mobile psychophysiological measurement devices (Varioport-ARM, Becker Meditec) that enable the aforementioned neuro-/psychophysiological recordings in real-life contexts.
- Psychophysiological Methods in the Study of Emotional and Cognitive Success Factors of Information Services (2002-2004, Wihuri Foundation)
- MEC, Presence: Measurement, Effects, Conditions (2002-2006, EU FP5-IST)
- MC2, Mobile Content Communities (2003-2006, TEKES)
- FUGA, The Fun of Gaming: Measuring the Human Experience of Media Enjoyment (2006-2009, EU FP6-NEST )
- PASION, Psychologically Augmented Social Interaction over Networks (2006-2009, EU FP6-IST)
- Effects of Emotions and Unconscious Processes on Financial Decision Making (2007-2010, Emil Aaltonen Foundation)
- MINET, Measuring the Impossible NETwork (2007-2010, EU FP6-NEST )
- SAWUI, Supporting Situation Awareness in Demanding Operating Environments through Wearable Interfaces (2008-2010, TEKES)
- aivoAALTO (2009 -)
- Enactive Social Media and Games (2009, Media Factory, Aalto University)
- EILEAD, The Relationship of Actual and Appraised Emotional Intelligence Competencies with Successful Leadership (2009-2010, The Finnish Work Environment Fund)
- Emokeitai (2009-2011, TEKES )
- Enactive Media (2009-2011, Academy of Finland)
- TARGET, Transformative, Adaptive, Responsive and enGaging EnvironmenT (2009-2011, EU FP7-ICT)
- DiRe, Digital Reputation (2010-2011, TEKES)
- Play Society (2011-2012 , TEKES)
- Media2: Future Media Dynamics (2011-2012, Helsingin Sanomat Foundation)
- LeadEmo, An Advanced Method for Training Emotional Intelligence of Managers (2011-2013, TEKES)
- eReading (2010-2013 , Next Media Programme, TEKES)
- Inpatia – Innovation empathy (Tekes, 2013-2014)
Director of Research
Niklas Ravaja, Ph.D.
Mikko Salminen, M.A.
Simo Järvelä, B.A.