Capstone: Accounting (spring)
The assignment will be tailored for each case and it will be completed in 3-5 person groups. There are 8-10 cases per course which will be allocated to teams considering their preferences. The apex of the course is the final report to be presented to the management of the case company. There are two courses starting each year: one in September and one in March. The length of the project is approximately two months.
During the period of 2015-2021 we have executed 122 real-life assignments partnering with, for example, Stora Enso, Orion, Oriola, Nordea, Kesko, Konecranes, OP, Danske Bank, Fortum, Huhtamaki, Fennia, Lindström, UPM, Hintsa Performance, LVM, Metsähallitus, Outokumpu, Elisa, SAP, SRV, Finnair, Cargotec, Amer Sports, Metsä Group, Cramo, Kuljetusrinki, Lemminkäinen, Martela, VR, Musti Group, Sanoma, Azets, Boardman, and City of Vantaa.
What can the company expect from taking part in this project?
- Innovative problem-solving by enthusiastic business students.
- Each student spends about 200 hours on the project.
- Networking with the students and teachers of Aalto University School of Business.
- Final report presented to the company management including conclusions and recommendations.
What is required from the company?
- The company will provide an interesting project proposal for an assignment. The proposal will be developed together with the teachers of the course.
- Organizing of the kick-off meeting and forum for the final presentation. Additional support is appreciated.
- Contact person for the project.
What do the students receive?
The students will be able to execute real-life projects providing value added to case companies or other institutions. Final report to be presented to the company management must also include conclusions and recommendations.
The students will develop their analytical skills and learn to combine the knowledge of management and financial accounting with their understanding of economics, strategic management, finance and information systems. The course develops students’ advanced communication and presentation skills.
- Contact: Seppo Ikäheimo, Professor, [email protected]
- Project duration: March-May
- Number of students per project: 3-5
- Project fee for a company: No fee
- Application period for companies: 1.1.-21.2.2023
Examples of assignment themes
- Strategic competitor analysis
- Market analysis
- Artificial intelligence and Robotic Process Automatization
- KPI development
- Shared service centers
- Internal audit and board work
- Benchmarking and developing CSR reporting
- Long-term liquidity planning
- Forecasting development
- Market entry studies