Key figures of 2020 and reports
- We direct our research towards seven key areas: ICT and digitalisation, materials, art and design, business, energy solutions, living environments, and health and wellbeing.
- The number of refereed articles in scientific journals has increased by 78% since 2010.
Competitive research funding (€ million)
The number includes e.g. research funding from the Academy of Finland, Business Finland and companies, as well as competitive EU funding.
International peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals
Quality of publications
Share of Aalto University publications that belong to the top 10% most highly cited publications in the world in the same subject area. This indicator has been used since 2015.
International academic faculty (%)
Excellence in research
Recipients of European Research Council (ERC) funding
Academy of Finland Centres of Excellence
Academy of Finland
Academy of Finland
- The tenure track career system is the university's most important strategic investment.
- 73% of all professors in 2020 are recruited after 2010.
|New professors *||0||18||83||131||185||216||228||243||268||278||286|
* New professors refer to professors appointed to the Aalto University tenure track career system, implemented in 2010.
- Thanks to the systematic development of online teaching, we were able to promptly shift to remote teaching.
Degree reforms and their transition periods have affected the number of master’s degrees in 2010, 2011 and 2018.
Students with a minimum of 55 ECTS credits per year (%)
Bachelor’s and master’s degree students
*Full-time equivalent degree students
Art and creative practices
- Despite the pandemic, our artistic activities were prominently visible in international arenas.
- Art and creative practices offer fresh insights for all lines of research and studies.
Art and design 6th in the world
The QS Rankings put Aalto’s art & design to 6th place worldwide and architecture to 42nd place worldwide (in 2021).
33 university-wide art courses
1 100 students from all Aalto schools attended the Design Inside course and 400 students the university-wide art courses. In the Design Bits course pilot 170 students participated.
Visibility in important events
Ars Electronica, World Economic Forum, Pitti Uomo, Helsinki Design Week, Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair.
Dezeen Awards, Japan Good Design Award, Finlandia Prize for Architecture, Jussi and Venla awards, Young Designer of the Year, Designer's Nest, CAMERIMAGE Silver Frog, International Creative Media Award.
University's art collection grew
Artist group IC-98’s staircase artwork Mare Tranquillitatis was installed at the School of Business. Winners of the campusart competition were rooted in bioart and quantum physics.
Helsinki Design Week 2nd time on campus
Designs For a Cooler Planet Exhibition showcased over 40 trans-disciplinary projects.
Significant artistic outputs in 2020
Significant outputs in world's most important artistic forums.
Other significant artistic outputs.
Rankings in key research areas
In field-specific rankings Aalto ranks among the best in the world.
In 2020, QS placed Aalto 9th in the world among universities founded less than 50 years ago.
Aalto University key research areas
Click on the arrows to see examples of rankings attached to these areas.
ICT and digitalisation
- ShanghaiRanking: Telecommunication Engineering 34 (2019: 22)
- ShanghaiRanking: Computer Science & Engineering 51–75 (2019: 47)
- US News: Computer Science 56 (2019: 33)
Global business dynamics
- ShanghaiRanking: Management 27 (2019: 32)
- ShanghaiRanking: Business Administration 24 (2019: 29)
Materials and sustainable use of natural resources
- ShanghaiRanking: Mining and Mineral Engineering 76–100 (2019: 76–100)
- QS: Materials Sciences 98 (2020: 101–150)
Arts and design knowledge building
- QS: Art & Design 6 (2020: 7)
Human-centred living environments
- QS: Architecture/Built Environment 42 (2020: 41)
- QS: Marine/Ocean Engineering 35 (2019: –)
Advanced energy solutions
- ShanghaiRanking: Electrical & Electronic Engineering 76–100 (2019: 76–100)
Health and wellbeing
- ShanghaiRanking: Medical Technology 101–150 (2019: 101–150)
- The long-term campus development programme proceeded as planned.
- Renovation of Aalto University Töölö was completed and renovation of the old Otaniemi shopping centre began.
Facility usage (1000 sqm)
Facility costs (€ million)
- 43% of the academic faculty is international.
(31 December 2020)
The number of full-time equivalent personnel was 4 218.
Personnel structure development, indexed
2010 = 100
- In 2020, the pro forma operative income totalled €343 million.
- Main sources of income were government funding, €212 million, and grant income from Academy of Finland, EU and Business Finland, €83 million.
Income (€ million)
Expenses (€ million)
Sources and uses of funds 2020
Annual board reports from previous years
- Aalto University Annual Board Report and Financial Statements 2019 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2014 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2013 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2012 (pdf)
- Aalto University Foundation's Board Report and Financial Statements 2011 (pdf)
- Aalto University: Aalto's year 2010 in Review (pdf)
- Aalto University Foundation's Board Report and Financial Statements 2010 (pdf)