Key figures of 2018 and reports
We direct our research towards seven key areas: ICT and digitalisation, materials, art
and design, business, energy solutions, living environments, and health and wellbeing.
- Competitive research funding obtained by the university has risen from last year.
International peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals
Competitive research funding (€ million)
The number includes e.g. research funding from the Academy of Finland, Business Finland and companies, as well as competitive EU funding.
Quality of publications
Share of Aalto University publications that belong to the top 10% most highly cited publications in the world in the same subject area. This indicator has been used since 2015.
International academic faculty (%)
Recipients of European Research Council (ERC) funding
Academy of Finland Centres of Excellence
Academy of Finland
Academy of Finland
* The FiDiPro programme has ended
- The tenure track career system is the university's most important strategic investment.
- 69% of all professors in 2018 are recruited after 2010.
|New professors *||0||18||83||131||185||216||228||243||268|
* New professors refer to professors appointed to the Aalto University tenure track career system, implemented in 2010.
- The strategic development of teaching and learning continued, as well as the long-term work to streamline study paths.
- The number of doctorates has increased by 43% compared to 2010.
Bachelor’s and master’s degree students
Full-time equivalent students FTE
The number of master's degrees was exceptionally large in 2010 and small in 2011 due to degree reform in the field of science and technology.
Students with a minimum of 55 ECTS credits per year (%)
Art and creative practices
- International prominence in the fields of art, design and architecture continued, with the university receiving a number of awards and recognitions
- Art and creative practices offer fresh insights for all lines of research and studies.
Art and design 7th in the world
The QS Rankings put Aalto’s art & design to 7th place worldwide.
25 university-wide art courses
A total of 283 participants from all Aalto schools attended the UWAS courses.
Visibility in important events
Paris Photo, Pitti Uomo, Ars Electronica, Milan Furniture Fair, Venice Architecture Biennale, Chart Copenhagen, Toronto Film Festival.
Apple Design Award, Finlandia Prize for Architecture, Venla and Jussi Awards, Red Dot, Designer's Nest, Hyères.
Fashion Programme at 5th place
The Business of Fashion ranked Aalto's Fashion Programme as 5th globally.
Jenni Haukio's gown
Students designed the gown made of birch-based fabric for Jenni Haukio, spouse of Finnish President, to the Independence Day reception.
Significant artistic outputs in 2018
Significant outputs in world's most important artistic forums.
Other significant artistic outputs.
Rankings in key research areas
- Aalto University places high in rankings specific to science, technology, art and business.
- In 2018, QS placed Aalto in 9th place in the world among universities founded less than 50 years ago.
Aalto University key research areas
Click on the arrows to see rankings attached to these areas.
ICT and digitalisation
- ShanghaiRanking: Telecommunication Engineering 28 (2017: 31)
- US News: Computer Science 43 (2017: 47)
Global business dynamics
- ShanghaiRanking: Management 36 (2017: 49)
- ShanghaiRanking: Business Administration 34 (2017: 51–75)
Materials and sustainable use of natural resources
- ShanghaiRanking: Mining and Mineral Engineering 51–75 (2017: 46)
Arts and design knowledge building
- QS: Art & Design 7 (2018: 9)
Advanced energy solutions
- ShanghaiRanking: Electrical & Electronic Engineering 51–75 (2017: 76–100)
Human-centred living environments
- QS: Architecture/Built Environment 42 (2018: 46)
Health and wellbeing
- ShanghaiRanking: Medical Technology 101–150 (2017: 101–150)
- The long-term campus development programme continued in 2018.
- Three new buildings were completed: Väre, School of Business and A Bloc shopping centre.
Facility usage (1000 sqm)
Facility costs (€ million)
- The viewpoints of sustainable development and responsibility are taken into account in teaching, research and other operations.
Sustainable development was the topic of 12% of all publications at Aalto in 2018.
In addition, numerous research projects are indirectly linked to sustainability via e.g. utilisa
Publications related to sustainability 2018
Number and share of all publications
- 40% of the academic faculty is international.
The number of full-time equivalent personnel was 4 052.
- The pro forma operative income totalled €347 million.
- The main sources of income were government funding and project grants.
Income (€ million)
Expences (€ million)
Sources and uses of funds 2018
Annual reports and financial statements
- Aalto University Annual Report 2014 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2013 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2012 (pdf)
- Aalto University Foundation's Board Report and Financial Statements 2011 (pdf)
- Aalto University: Aalto's year 2010 in Review (pdf)
- Aalto University Foundation's Board Report and Financial Statements 2010 (pdf)