Positions published and applications opened
Deadline for applications
Student selection and interviews
Invitation letters from Departments
Internship, get to know Finland course, AScI seminar
June-August 2020 (12 weeks)
- For questions concerning the research topic, please contact the academic contact person listed in topic description.
- For general questions concerning the internships or application procedure, contact the AScI coordinator at [email protected].
- All questions related to employment contracts should be directed to the respective departments' HR staff. The selected students will be informed about their HR contact persons.
Internship applicants must be at least second year undergraduate students or master's students in a suitable field at a recognised university. The applicants must have an academically outstanding background appropriate for the proposed internship topic, and an excellent command of English.
Compulsory appendices to the application form
- Official* transcript of university records the university studies that you have completed
- * by "official" transcript we mean a transcript that clearly has been issued by your university or printed from a university webpage. Further verification may be required from shortlisted candidates.
- If the transcript is in a language other than English, a (unofficial) translation of the transcript must be submitted. You should append the translation to the same file as the copy of the official* transcript.
- In addition, please assemble a list of courses + descriptions of courses that will appear in the final transcript (spring courses), but are not in your current transcript. You should append the list to the same file as the copy of the official* transcript.
- Motivation letter: The motivation letter is part of the application form.
- Explain why are you interested in an Aalto Science Institute intern position, and what are your personal interests in terms of research
- Also indicate any special circumstances with regards to visit dates.
- Future study plans.
- CV: A summary of your academic and work history with contact details.
- A recommendation letter from a professor or equivalent from your university.
- The recommendations should be written by a university professor or lecturer, namely by a person who has supervised you in either an academic or employment capacity.
- Your referee should be informed of Aalto University's Privacy Notice to Employee Candidates.
- The recommendations must be original.
- AScI will not contact or ask for the letter of recommendation from the referee by email or phone. Only in the case that the applicant is shortlisted by the supervising research group, the referee could be contacted after the deadline of the call.
- Applications without the letter of recommendation will not be processed.
- Important! If the referee wants to send their letter directly to us by email, then please upload a note stating this in the "recommendation letter" attachment section of the on-line application. Then, please ask the referee to email the letter to AScI at: [email protected] with the subject line "recommendation letter for first name last name"
- Proof of sufficient English skills: TOEFL or IELTS are recommended but not required. Alternatively, you may provide one of the following:
- You can also send a statement from your university regarding your language skills.
- A seminar report or something you have written as part of your studies to demonstrate your competence in written English.
- If your university studies are English, then a clear statement of this fact on your CV and cover letter.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
How competitive are the internships?
For the summer 2020 intership we received approximately 600 application for 49 positions. Many of these applications come from students in top ranked universities in their countries. However, do not be discouraged, as depending on the topic some of the 49 positions are much more competitive than others. If you have a strong interest in a particular topic and the right background and enthusiasm, you should definitely apply. We do not know how the pandemic situation will affect the 2021 internship applications.
When are the results of selection known?
By around the end of February (a more precse date will be given closer to the time). Your application will not be processed any faster if you contact AScI. See also the next two questions & answers.
How long can I expect to wait for an answer to a question that I've asked by email?
AScI has one part-time coordinator. Therefore, you must wait at least one week before resending your question. All questions will be answered in due course. We ask that you familiarize yourself with all the materials on this website before you ask a question. Please note that we receive around 600 hundred applications, and deal with a very large volume of inquiries around the opening time of the application form, so it is important to identify yourself properly in your email. A clear subject line also helps.
My holidays are from the first week of May until the end of July. I'll be able to stay until the first week of August. Am I eligible to apply for an AScI internship?
In principle, you should be eligible to apply, however please note that AScI will not be able to help with accommodation during May (student dorms are used by our local students then). You would have to organize the accommodation for yourself in May independently, using private market options (these include hotels, hostels, AirBnB etc.) Your hosting department may be able to help but you can expect to pay more for accommodation in May. The majority of interns will arrive in June so any coordinated activities for the intern group will not start until then; you would have to be self-guided and rely on help from your hosting department. Similarly, you would miss out on any activities in August. Results of the selection should be known by the end of February. If this sounds acceptable to you, please send in your application.
My holidays are from the end of June until September. Am I eligible to apply for an AScI internship?
You need to mention in your application form when you will be able to travel to Finland. If you choose to arrive later than 01 June, then you will miss out on any information sessions, events and courses organized between 01 June and your arrival. Most of the activities at AScI take place in June. No extra info sessions will be organized for latecomers. You will have less opportunity to get to know other AScI interns who have arrived by early June, and you will have less time to carry out scientific work before you give your presentation in the mid-August seminar. You should be able to apply to this programme nevertheless. The recruiting research group will decide if the student’s timetable suits them. Please also be aware that in Finland summer vacations typically start around 20 June, and services are limited until the end of July. Availability of accommodation can become a problem after the end of August (student dorms are used by our local students from September onwards). You would have to organize the accommodation for yourself in September independently, using private market options (these include hotels, hostels, AirBnB etc.) Your hosting department may be able to help but you can expect to pay more for accommodation in September. If this sounds acceptable to you, please send in your application.
My academic referee prefers to send the reference letter to AScI directly. How should I indicate this on the online application form?
You should write a brief statement to the effect that the academic referee will send the reference letter to AScI directly (in that case, we prefer to receive the letter as a PDF attachment file from the academic referee's official university email address). If possible, please name the referee(s) who will contact us. Attach your statement (e.g. Word or PDF file) to the "Reference letter" tab on the online application form. It is important that the academic referee sends the letter of reference to us before the application deadline. We reserve the right not to process applications that are not supported by a letter of reference from an academic who knows your academic record.
Is the summer internship offered by Aalto University Science Institute only restricted to bachelor's students or there is a possibility for master's students to join?
Yes, the AScI internship programme is open to all current bachelor's and master's students.
I am an international/exchange student at Aalto. Am eligble to apply?
The internships are open to all students. In support of AScI's role in internationalisation, international and exchange students at Aalto are encouraged to apply.
My school does not provide official transcripts in any electronic format, what should I do?
A scanned copy is acceptable.
My transcript is in Vietnamese, but a transcript in English is required. I want to know if I can submit an English transcript translated by myself, attached to an original Vietnamese transcript. If no, should I submit the English transcript notarized by my university or Notary Public?
We will accept your English translation if it is attached to the original transcript.
Due to the pandmic my grades/transcipt for autumn sememester are not yet avialable, what should I do?
Write a list the courses you have completed and attach it to you transcript or upload as a separate document.
Do I need to provide a scanned copy of my passport or ID card?
If you are selected as one of the interns, then our HR department needs to take a photocopy of your passport on your arrival at Aalto. You may be asked to provide a scanned copy of your passport before your arrival, as this will speed up the HR processes.