The Textile Printing Workshop is a learning environment for education, research and artistic activity. In the workshop there are opportunities to colour and pattern textiles by dyeing, painting, mechanical printing and printing. The techniques available include reactive dyeing, painting, (hand) printing and digital textile printing, acid dyeing and printing, dyeing and printing with reactive and acid dyes, digital textile printing with reactive dye inks, pigment printing, disperse (dye) printing, resist felting, white and coloured resist techniques, discharge and crimping.
The courses organised in the Fabric Printing Workshop prepare students for professional development, provide them with the mastery of techniques, and teach them to work safely with chemicals.
Facilities, equipment, tools and materials
The facilities of the Fabric Printing Workshop comprise a darkroom (F010), press room (P001), colour kitchen (P003), finishing facility (P002), and textile printer (P004).
Equipment and tools:
- Printing tables (2 x 6 m), printing templates and squeegees
- Pressure washer, exposure unit for screens, drying cupboards and washbasins
- Fume cupboard, scales, mixers
- Fabric dyeing machine, induction stoves, cooking pot, washing machines, half-automatic dyeing machine, tumble dryer, drying cupboards
- Thermal press, attachment device and rocket steamer
- Steam table and ironing area
- Mutoh Viper TX 65" textile printer
- Fabric storage facility for course materials and experiments
- Chemical and colour storage facilities
Digital Textile printing
You can find information about digital textile printing at Aalto Wiki: https://wiki.aalto.fi/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=92441642
Work authorisations and orientation training
Independent work in the Workshop during evenings and weekends requires work authorisation. Work authorisation is personal and is issued to those who have completed a basic course in fabric printing (Textile and Dyeing Technology or Printed Fabrics Workshop) or to those students who have the corresponding skills.
- Course feedback is filled in via the electronic feedback system at the end of the course.
- You can also send your suggestions for workshop development to: [email protected]. Please write ‘Fabric Printing feedback’ in the subject heading.
Key words: dyeing, textile dyeing, fabric dyeing, yarn dyeing, fibre dyeing, painting, cloth painting, printing, fabric printing, pattern-printed cloth, printout on textiles, textile printer, fabric printing workshop
For contact information and to reserve space in the workshop, please log into the Aalto website.