Programme-specific Admission Procedure and Evaluation Criteria
What we look for in an applicant?
We value the following skills and competences: an understanding of drama, visual storytelling ability, process work skills, group work skills, understanding details as well as the bigger picture, and a readiness to observe, recognise, and create special and important works in the field of screenwriting for film and television.
- Motivation letter
In addition to these, in the second stage the evaluation criteria also includes
- Possible additional assignments and work samples
First stage and required application documents
In the first stage of the evaluation the selection committee evaluates the applications based on the application documents. Study Option’s requirements for the application documents are listed below. Please also note requirements for the application documents presented in the general application instructions. Attach each application document to the electronic application form in PDF form.
The portfolio consists of two parts.
- Past artistic activities – max. 2 pages
The applicant describes their former artistic and/or professional activities in the field of screenwriting for film and television. In this section, the applicant may also describe in more detail their key works in the field of screenwriting, related objectives pertaining to their narrative or content, and the experiences or observations related to implementing these objectives. The applicant may also include links to video files (Vimeo, YouTube etc.) in their portfolio.
The applicant submits a screenwriting sample. They can choose one of two options:
1. Screenplay of a full length fiction film (90–120 minutes) Genre not specified.
- synopsis of the entire movie, max. 3 pages
- script sample from the beginning of the film (scene 1) / screenplay format / 25–30 pages
2. Television series screenplay
The series must have a minimum of three and a maximum of eight episodes. Length of the episodes is 25–30 minutes. Genre not specified.
- a concise synopsis of the events in the series in general, and a description of the key characters / max. 4 pages
- series pilot episode / screenplay format / 25–30 pages
In the CV, the applicant provides the following information:
- personal information
- applicant's works as a screenwriter, including student projects:
name of the piece created using the applicant's screenplay, production year, format (short film, TV series etc.), duration, director, producer, applicant's role in the author group if the work has more than one screenwriters
- possible screenplays currently in production or otherwise in progress
- other work experience in film and other non-film related work experience
- possible publications, articles, prizes and grants, other information considered relevant to the application
The motivation letter comprises two parts:
- Description of the applicant’s views and objectives
The applicant explains what their special interests are in screenwriting for film and television, and what their objectives and hopes are for the MA studies. The applicant describes their possible career plans after graduation.
The applicant explores the degree requirements of Screenwriting for Film and Television and creates a preliminary plan for their own MA studies.
The maximum length of the motivation letter is 4 000 characters.
Language of application documents
The application documents must be submitted in Finnish (Swedish) or English.
Part of the applicants are invited to the second stage. The invitation to the second stage is sent to the applicants at latest 7 days in advance.
The second stage consists of an interview and possible additional assignments and work samples.