Aalto ARTS Books' instructions for doctoral candidates
I If your thesis is being published through the Aalto University publication platform:
- Acquaint yourself with the instructions at Publishing doctoral theses
- Fill in your information on the form at Information about your dissertation for Aalto ARTS Books
- Contact the managing editor of Aalto ARTS Books to arrange the publishing costs, print run and delivery for the books: Annu Ahonen, [email protected]
II If you want to publish your thesis through Aalto ARTS Books:
Aalto ARTS Books will henceforth produce only books that have been approved by the ARTS editorial board. Candidates may apply to the editorial board for a decision on publishing. The board meets five times a year. (Read more on the editorial board).
To apply, candidates should obtain a recommendation by Head of Research, as that affects the publishing decision. Publishing decisions are conditional on the candidate receiving permission to defend their thesis.
Editorial board decision is based on following criteria:
- Research is outstanding example of Aalto ARTS thesis with high relevance on the field of research.
- Visual material – especially previously unpublished – has an important role in the thesis.
- Department contribution to the production expenses.
- Potential to attract general interest.
How to apply for processing by the editorial board?
- Enter your information on the form: Information about your dissertation for Aalto ARTS Books
- Obtain a written recommendation from the head of research for your department or from the supervising professor.
- Complete the book proposal form. You can find the attachment at the bottom of this page when you are a signed user.
- Put together a sample of your doctoral thesis’ manuscript (text and images, max 20 pages) in PDF format (max. file size 20 Mb). Include in the sample the table of contents, followed by sample pages from one or two chapters from the manuscript. Please choose pages where images play an important role. No special layout is needed.
- Submit all the materials (recommendation, book proposal form and sample) in one e-mail message to [email protected]. Send the material no later than nine (9) weekdays before the meeting.
Editorial boards meetings are held during 2022–23
- 26.1.2022 – deadline for application 13.1.2022 4 pm
- 23.3.2022 – deadline for application 10.3.2022 4 pm
- 18.5.2022 – deadline for application 5.5.2022 4 pm
- 14.9.2022 – deadline for application 1.9.2022 4 pm
- 23.11.2022 – deadline for application 10.11.2022 4 pm
- 25.1.2023 – deadline for application 12.1.2023 4 pm
- 22.3.2023 – deadline for application 9.3.2023 4 pm
- 17.5.2023 – deadline for application 4.5.2023 4 pm
If ARTS editorial board accepts your thesis for publication, you will be provided a publishing editor to help with e.g. finding a graphic designer and with the final finishing of the material.
A publishing agreement will be made with Aalto ARTS Books, and if necessary the book will be put on sale. Aalto ARTS Books decides on the number of copies after hearing from the editorial board. For further information, contact Annu Ahonen, managing editor.