SCI Diversity and Inclusivity Fund
The School of Science is funding projects that foster and encourage diversity, inclusivity and equality
Aalto University wants to offer a working environment in which employees and students of different genders, tasks and backgrounds are treated equally. To promote equal treatment and opportunities for all in our community, the SCI Diversity and Inclusivity Fund supports networks, seminar series, creative projects, mentorship schemes, public events, and work with schools or social clubs. The call is open April 3, 2023-April 28, 2023.
- Summer – open from 3 April until 28 April. Awarded projects announced mid-May. For projects starting by December 2023.
- Winter – opens 1 November 2023, closes 30 November 2023. Awarded projects announced mid-December 2023. For projects starting by June 2024.
Rules and conditions
- All projects must abide by the Aalto Code of Conduct.
- This funding is not intended to cover already existing activities.
- All accepted grants will require one of the team to write a news story for the Aalto University webpage about their project.
- The funding is open to all members of staff and students who are affiliated with the School of Science.
- The proposals will be evaluated based on potential impact, based on the level of support the project will provide, and the number of people it will reach.
- We encourage projects that are not limited to one department or student guild;
- An impactful project could provide a lot of help to a small group, or a small amount of help to a large group.
- Notice that the School of Electrical Engineering will have a corresponding Fund open at the same time in the spring. Projects involving both schools are encouraged.
- All projects will be considered, however to avoid duplicating efforts, collaboration may be suggested between two similar applications, or between an application and an already existing project.
- Applications will be judged by a subcommittee of the School of Science EDI group and final decisions will be approved by the Dean.
- Salaries are funded only in very exceptional cases, so please contact us (information below) before sending your proposal if this is what you need funding for.
- The judging subcommittee are happy to consult and assist with proposals before submitting, and potential applicants are encouraged to talk with us before making a proposal. Please inform also your finance contact already when preparing the proposal.
- The School of Science Communications team will assist in promoting the project, but the main responsibility for promotion remains with the project teams.
Projects elected for funding earlier
- Puhutaan suomea: Lunch time meetings for personnel to practice Finnish
- Making Waves: Seminar series addressing the gender and diversity imbalance in academia
- Color of Science: Engaging Critical Perspectives from Scientists of Color
- The Painting Energies Podcast: Creating an experience-based podcast series on artscience
- Master's thesis on co-creative service design in context of LGBT+ minority (read about the author)
- The Feminist Futures Helsinki hackathon
- A DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) workshop for the Athene guild
- Kaleidoscope Cinema: a movie series on diversity topics
- Increasing minority representation through video exercise solutions
T304 Dept. Applied Physics