Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and nearly 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
The School of Electrical Engineering is one of the six schools of Aalto University. Our portfolio covers fields from natural sciences to engineering and information sciences. In parallel with basic research, we develop ideas and technologies further into innovations and services. We are experts in systems science; we develop integrated solutions from care of the elderly to space robotics. The School is an international unit with close to 60 professors and 2 000 full-time students, including over 200 doctoral students.
The Department of Communications and Networking at Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering is looking for a talented and highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to tackle appealing research problems in the area of data-driven edge computing
The postdoc researcher will work for the DataFog project funded by Academy of Finland from 2019 to 2022. The project aims at developing data-driven algorithms and tools for urban traffic analysis and resource/capacity management of edge/fog computing for emerging vehicular applications. The postdoc is expected to take care of algorithm development and evaluation. Besides research work, the postdoc is expected to participate in teaching, such as supervising master/bachelor thesis students.
The mobile cloud computing group led by Prof. Yu Xiao conducts experimental systems research on edge computing, autonomous driving and cognitive manufacturing. In 2019, the group is carrying out 2 EU and 3 national projects. More information about the research group can be found from http://mobilecloud.aalto.fi/
- Doctoral degree (or will shortly satisfy the requirement of a PhD) in a relevant discipline, such as computer science, electrical engineering and statistics
- Demonstrated ability to develop novel machine learning algorithms, and strong background in mathematical analysis to solve real-life problems
- Good programming skills to quickly build prototypes of data analysis algorithms and modules
- High motivation for research, and enjoy working in an international and cross-disciplinary team
- Good written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge about wireless networking or cloud computing is considered as a plus
- Work experience in industry is considered as a plus
Salary and contract terms
The contract period is initially for 1 year, with an extension possibility. The expected starting salary for junior-level postdoc is approximately 3570 €/month, depending on experience and qualifications. Salary will increase according to responsibilities and performance over time. The contract includes occupational health benefits, holiday bonus, and Finland has a comprehensive social security system.
How to apply
Please apply through the "Apply now!" link below and include the following attachments:
- List of publications
- Research statement
- Recommendation letter(s) from previous supervisors or employers (optional)
Application period closes on March 15, 2019 but we will start reviewing candidates immediately.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not applied during the application period.
As a living and working environment, Finland consistently ranks high in quality-of-life. For more information about living in Finland: http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/international_staff/