Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers in the fields of technology, business, art and design. The university has six schools with nearly 20 000 students and 4 700 employees, 390 of which are professors. Our vision is to rank among the top universities in the world. The Aalto University campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
Aalto University invites applications from engineers and/or architects for the position as
Doctoral Candidate – Timber, Structures, Architecture
The position will be jointly supervised by the Professor of Wooden Structures (School of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering) and the Professor of Structures and Architecture (Department of Civil Engineering and at the School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Department of Architecture). The position will be allocated to the School of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering.
We are seeking to appoint an outstanding and inspirational Doctoral Candidate in the area of Timber Structures and Architecture. The successful candidate will be developing a reputation in this field with a special focus on timber-only connections, structural members and/or entire structures. The specific topic and scale will be subject to discussion with the supervisors during the initial phase of research as well as it will depend upon the background and interests of the post holder.
Applicants must have completed a Master’s or Diploma degree. A passion for creative engineering/architectural design and integrated/collaborative working, and heightened interest in architectural/structural geometry, is an essential requirement. Due to proactive involvement in teaching, pedagogic qualities, and interest in passing knowledge and expertise to students is expected. Excellent social skills and open-minded attitude will ensure good embedment in the research groups and multidisciplinary environment at Aalto University. Fluent English, both written and spoken, is prerequisite.
Strong background in at least two of the following areas (listed in alphabetical order) is required:
- computational & applied geometry
- computational & parametric design
- digital fabrication | robotics
- mechanics | applied physics
- mathematics | computation
- structural engineering
- wood technology
Supervision & Research Groups
We, the Professor of Wooden Structures and the Professor of Structures and Architecture, are a jointly supervising team in which collaborative, structural and design thinking is central to our teaching and research ethos. Since the supervising team`s affiliations parallel the School of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering and the School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Department of Architecture, the position will benefit from the following research groups:
1. The research group for Wooden Structures has been established in 2016. The main research areas are structural reliability in timber engineering, timber grading, further development of engineered wood products & structural solutions and assessment of wooden structures.
2. The multidisciplinary research group for Structures and Architecture has been established in 2017. The research group´s interest has especially been on the profound changes that selforganizing forms and processes instigate in the way architecture and engineering is thought, designed and built. Their “fat-free-design” approach is based on deep understanding of geometry, digital design and advanced fabrication methods, and results in innovative, and sustainable structural lightweight systems.
Contract and salary
The Doctoral candidate position belongs to Aalto career system and the selected person will be appointed for a 1-4 year fixed term appointment. The first contract will be signed for a period of one year with a further extension subject to meeting a set of performance criteria during the first year. In a maximum of four years, the doctoral candidate is required to 1) complete the doctoral dissertation, 2) finish relevant courses for 40 ECTS credits and 3) participate in teaching.
For the candidate qualified for Doctoral Candidate position, an official Aalto University application process for doctoral studies will be accomplished: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/How+to+apply
Hence, before preparing his/her application for the Doctoral Candidate position the applicant should ensure that the corresponding formal requirements will be fulfilled:
For language requirements, admission requirements and application instructions, see:
Compensation, working hours and place of work
The salary follows the salary system of Aalto University. In addition to the salary, the contract includes occupational health benefits, and Finland has a comprehensive social security system. The annual total workload of teaching staff at Aalto University is 1 624 hours. The position is located at the Aalto University Otaniemi campus.
For more information
For further details, please contact Prof. Gerhard Fink or Prof. Günther H. Filz and for further information regarding the recruitment process, contact HR Coordinator Pihla Porvari. E-mails: [email protected]
How to apply
The applications for the doctoral candidate position are to be submitted through the eRecruitment system (link 'Apply for this job' below) no later than March 4th , 2019.
Required documents (pdf files) for the first stage of application:
- Motivation/application letter, including full contact information (max one A4 page)
- Curriculum vitae, including contact information for two references and including information on activities and interests other than academic
Required documents (pdf files) for shortlisted applicants upon prior notice:
- A certified copy of master´s and bachelor´s degree certificate and official transcript of records, and their translations, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English. (Minimum average grading requirements: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/How+to+apply )
- Proof of proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English if the applicant is not a native speaker of or educated in any of them. (Language skill proof requirements): https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/How+to+apply
All material should be submitted in English.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
In Espoo, February 7th , 2019