Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and approximately 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
The research group of Polymer Technology at the Department of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering is looking for a highly motivated
Postdoctoral Researcher in Synthesis of Novel Biopolymers and their Composites
Polymer synthesis research of novel biopolymers are the core competence of polymer technology group in Aalto University. The biopolymer can be targeted for engineering or biomedical applications. The Polymer Technology research group has excellent facilities for polymer synthesis and analytical work.
We have an opening for recent doctoral graduate/postdoctoral researchers to conduct research in the development of next generation biopolymers using a combination of bio-based feed stocks and advanced synthesis techniques. You will actively participate in the synthesis and development of functional biopolymers and their structure property correlation research. This is a one-year postdoctoral appointment (with possibility of extension).
- Synthesis and characterization of innovative biopolymers
- Develop and optimize procedures to functionalize biopolymers
- Utilize and develop methods for additive manufacturing
- Document publications in peer-reviewed journals, and present results to steering groups and at scientific conferences, compose grant applications, perform teaching and other duties as assigned
- Recent Ph.D. in Polymer Science or a related field in synthesis chemistry or materials science
- Experience in polymers’ chemical curing, compatibilization chemistries of composites and polymeric materials characterization using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Fourier-Transform Infrared, Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Thermogravimetric Analysis, Dynamic Mechanical Analysis, Transmission Electron Microscope, Scanning Electron Microscopy, X-Ray Diffraction are of benefit
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publications of peer-reviewed literature, proficient verbal and written communication skills, initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary working environment.
The salary is determined according to the salary system of Aalto University and depends on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
For more information
For additional information, please contact Professor Jukka Seppälä, email: [email protected]
How to apply
Please apply online through the link below and include the following attachments:
- Application letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of publications
- Research interest description
- Names and contact information for references
Please apply through our eRecruitment system (link below) no later than on February 28th, 2019. However, the evaluation of the applications will start immediately. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
All materials should be submitted in English. The application materials will not be returned. Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
In Espoo, February 7, 2019.