Postdoctoral Researcher in Biomedical Engineering
Description and main tasks
Our research at the Medical Ultrasonics Laboratory (MEDUSA) in the Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering (NBE), Aalto University, focuses on innovating new ultrasound platforms for biomedical use with a goal to translate these into hospital and research environments, typically through the commercialization route. The technology typically relies on non-linear ultrasonics, which enables actuation and manipulation of matter (e.g. moving molecules/particles, generation acoustic streams, levitation, liquid micro-jets). Most of the applications are intended for diagnostics and advanced therapy in the field of cancer management.
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work with a new ultrasonics platform, which is expected to be commercialized in two years. Your work will include setting up advanced experimental arrangements and prototypes, simulations, running experiments and conducting data analysis (signals, images, high-speed video). We offer you an ambitious and high-tech working environment with a well-equipped laboratory and challenging and interesting research topics. The candidate is expected to perform high-quality research and assist in supervising PhD students as well as teaching. The work would include participation in other research projects and collaborations.
Our research projects are currently funded by Academy of Finland and Business Finland. We work closely with the industry.
The ideal candidate has:
- Ph.D. in physics, medical physics, biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering or electrical engineering
- excellent track in non-linear ultrasonics, ultrasonic actuation, biomedical ultrasonics (therapy or matter manipulation) or ultrasound transducer design.
- strong experience in development, testing, modelling and simulation of ultrasound methods
- excellent command of the English language and excellent team working skills
- excellent skills in project management and team leadership or willingness to develop them.
- published articles in leading journals
- willingness and capability to independently contribute to scientific publishing and protecting IP during the patenting process
- supervise PhD students in their research and publication activity
- track or potential in student supervision (potential in PhD student supervision).
- capability to work independently and learn new things quickly (you are a fast problem solver)
The work will be done at the Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering (NBE) of Aalto University at Medical Ultrasonics Laboratory (MEDUSA) under the guidance of Prof. Heikki Nieminen. There is a close collaboration with ETH Zürich, University of Toronto, University of Helsinki, University of Oulu.
The Postdoctoral Researcher position will be filled for 1-3 years. The expected starting salary for a Postdoctoral Researcher is approx. 36500 €/month and follows the university salary system. The position will be filled as soon as possible. The annual workload of research and teaching staff at Aalto University is 1624 hours.
Aalto University follows the salary system of the Finnish universities. The contract includes occupational healthcare.
The position will be located at the Aalto University Otaniemi Campus in Espoo.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via the eRecruitment system. Please note that the closing date for applications is 23 Feb 2019.
For the application, please include your:
• Letter of Motivation (max. one page)
• List of publications (including possible patent publications)
• Ph.D. diploma and other certificates
• Names and contact details of references
For further questions, you may contact
Professor Heikki Nieminen: [email protected]