Key figures and reports
- Aalto University has seven key research areas, which relate to promoting competitiveness and welfare.
- Recipients of European Research Council (ERC) funding up from 6 in 2010 to 26 in 2017.
Excellence in research
|Recipients of European
Research Council (ERC) funding
|Academy of Finland
Centres of Excellence
|Academy of Finland
|Academy of Finland
|* The FiDiPro funding programme has been ended.|
- The tenure track career system is the university's most important strategic investment.
- 63% of all professors are recruited after 2010.
|International||4 %||6 %||12 %||15 %||17 %||18 %||20 %||22 %|
|Women||10 %||11 %||13 %||16 %||17 %||20 %||19 %||20 %|
|International||-||28 %||29 %||31 %||29 %||28 %||30 %||31 %|
|Women||-||17 %||19 %||23 %||24 %||27 %||25 %||26 %|
|*New professors refer to professors appointed to the Aalto University tenure track career system that was implemented in 2010.|
- Aalto University educates game changers.
- In 2017, the university focused on programme attractiveness, online learning, success of students and professional competencies.
- The number of doctorates has increased by 39% compared to 2010.
Degree students 2017
Art and creative practices
- Aalto University wants to increase visibility and impact of art and creativity in the society. This will also create a basis for change and new thinking.
Among top 10
The QS Rankings put Aalto’s art & design to 9th place worldwide.
1% for art
Aalto is committed to the percentage for art principle as the first university in Finland.
with major events: Flow Festival, Helsinki Design Week, Paris Photo, National Portrait Gallery London, Pitti Uomo, Milan Furniture Fair.
The Business of Fashion ranked Aalto’s Fashion Programme as 5th globally.
For the 6th year in a row Aalto students were finalists at the Hyères Fashion Festival.
Success for students
Aalto’s students have excelled in the annual Designer’s Nest competition for consecutive years.
Artistic outputs 2017
Aalto University places high among universities in rankings specific to science, technology, art and business.
In 2017, QS put Aalto in 7th place in the world among universities founded less than 50 years ago.
ICT and digitalisation
US News | Computer science
Arts and design
QS | art & design
Materials and sustainable use of natural resources
Shanghai Ranking | mining & mineral engineering
Global business dynamics
FT | masters in management
Human-centred living environments
QS | architecture/built environment
Advanced energy solutions
Shanghai Ranking | electrical & electronic engineering
Health and wellbeing
Shanghai Ranking | medical technology
- Aalto University is developing its main campus into a unique centre of cooperation that attracts partners from all around the world.
- Sustainable development and responsibility are at the core of Aalto University’s strategy and shared values.
Publications related to sustainability 2017
Number and share of all publications
- Sustainable development was the topic of 12% of all publications at Aalto in 2017.
- In addition, numerous research projects are linked to sustainability via e.g. utilisation of research results.
- See other key figures in sustainability and Aalto University's sustanability reports.
- 37% of the academic faculty is international.
Personnel structure 31 Dec 2017
Personnel structure 2010–2017
- The financial balancing plan implemented in 2016 has been successful: the amount of competitive funding has increased and the university has been able to save in faclility and personnel costs as well as purchases.
Sources and uses of funds 2017
Income and expenses 2010–2017
Annual reports and financial statements
- Aalto University Annual Report 2014 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2013 (pdf)
- Aalto University Annual Report 2012 (pdf)
- Aalto University Foundation's Board Report and Financial Statements 2011 (pdf)
- Aalto University: Aalto's year 2010 in Review (pdf)
- Aalto University Foundation's Board Report and Financial Statements 2010 (pdf)
Aalto University Sustainability Reports