Instructions and tips for sustainable life
After housing and mobility, food is the most signifi cant factor affecting climate change.
- Choose vegetarian and seasonal foods, as well as local, organic and fairtrade.
- Only take as much as you can eat.
- Use proper cutlery, instead of paper or plastic.
- Tapwater is an ecological choice for drink.
- Giving away leftover food https://web.telegram.org/#/[email protected]
Use computers and other devices eco-effi ciently. The Aalto IT Service Desk can help you.
- Check the power save settings on your computer, even the sleep mode uses up power.
- Turn off the screen, lights and devices, when not in use.
- Minimise your paper consumption, print on both sides of a paper and in smaller print.
Make smart choices – avoid waste.
- Repair, reuse and recycle
- Sort waste according to instructions
Aalto strives for sustainable mobility with HSL and cities.
- Whenever possible walk, cycle or use public transportation, favour rail traffic: reittiopas.hsl.fi
- City bikes: kaupunkipyorat.hsl.fi
- Loan campus bikes from Dipoli or from Harald Herlin Learning Centre.
- Repair your bike in Otaniemi at a BFIX work station or through Bikepoli
- Car sharing
- Compensate your carbon emissions compensate.com
- Facebook fleamarket group Teekkarikylän markkinat
- Selling and giving away stuff: https://web.telegram.org/#/[email protected]
Leisure time and events
- Sustainable Business Club
- Environmental club of Otaniemi
- Otaniemi Urban Garden association
- More student associations: ayy.fi
Look for other events by student union's Campus Section and other associations, such as the Village Clean-up Day
Housing and university buildings
Aalto aims for energy effi ciency in campuses.
- Change to green electricity
- ”No adds please / Ei mainoksia” sticker in your door cuts down the paper waste.
- Switch off the lights when you don't need to use them.
- Switch off your workstation's screen, when leaving the work station.
- Use email or other electronic communications channels instead of printouts
- Conserve water
Tehokkain tapa edistää kestävyyttä on opintojen kautta
Complex sustainability challenges like climate change, loss of biodiversity and global inequality call for ground-breaking and societally impactful research. Our key research areas give us a unique chance for creating practice-relevant knowledge on cutting-edge sustainability solutions.